Home

wild plant seed sources

Posted By: Minker

wild plant seed sources - 07/21/13 04:09 PM

Is there anywhere you can get seeds for sweet anna , arrowhead plant or other native wild plants that aren't grown/dug/cultivated for sale /use ?

both of those are pretty much exstinct in the wild around here , both were favored foods of muskrats . i'd like to get some seeds and see if i can get some started in protected areas and see if it might help bring back the muskrats . there are other plants the rats used to favor for food as well that are mostly gone that i'd like to get seeds for as well.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: wild plant seed sources - 07/21/13 05:25 PM

figure out the life cycle of the plant then use your wild plants for new ones.not all plants come from seed.

Re: wild plant seed sources - 07/21/13 06:09 PM

theres none left i can find , haven't seen or smelled a sweet anna for close to 30 years.
Posted By: peacekeeper

Re: wild plant seed sources - 07/21/13 09:49 PM

Prairie Moon Nursery is a good source for seeds and starts of many native plants, including common arrowhead: http://www.prairiemoon.com/product.php?productid=16623
They don't sell seeds for sweet anna because it's a non-native weed, but a quick Google search turned up this source: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6084-sweet-annie-og.aspx

pcr2 is correct that it's better to grow the plants from seeds you collect locally. They are more likely to succeed because they are adapted to the local growing conditions.

One way to find possible locations for plants is to search the OSU Herbarium database: http://128.146.250.9/bol/
If you search for Artemisia annua (sweet anna) you will see 54 botanical records that you can then sort by date or county.

Re: wild plant seed sources - 07/22/13 01:23 AM

if sweet anna isn't native its been around along time or was i should say . it used to be found along just about any watercourse , usually i'd smell it before i'd see it as muskrats would dig out the banks to get the licorice smelling and tasting roots.

thats the name i was always told for it , maybe its known as something else.

thanks , i'll check those sources out
Posted By: chessydogs

Re: wild plant seed sources - 07/24/13 12:44 AM

Few more to try are Kesters Wild Game Nursery, Wildlife Nursery and Ernst Conservation Seed. They have a good selection of seed and/or plants for wildlife plantings.

Re: wild plant seed sources - 07/25/13 02:13 AM

thanks chessy .
Posted By: KeithC

Re: wild plant seed sources - 08/04/13 08:13 PM

Minker is sweet anna the same as sweet annie, artemisia annua?

I have sweet annie on my farm. I personally do not like the smell of it.

Sandy, a friend of mine, who died last Fall, used to make and sell lots of wreaths made of sweet annie.

If you ever are around Mechanicsburg, Ohio you can have some.

Keith
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: wild plant seed sources - 08/05/13 05:27 AM

We have a plant that is called sweet anise that grows in the woods. This plant smells like licorice when you break the root. We also have a plant that we call sweet annie. It grows along ditches and a way out into open fields. This plant grows in full sun. It has a very strong smell to it when you run your hands through it's leaves. This plant can grow as high as 4-5 ft. The root doesn't have any smell to it, that I know of. The first plant only grows to a couple ft. tall usually.
Posted By: Coonhound1990

Re: wild plant seed sources - 09/02/13 06:53 AM

Check out Ernst Conservation seeds i believe they sell arrowhead plant along with alot of other native wetland plants such as burr reed, pickerel weed, and arrow arum. My grandfather owns it and if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I will answer to the best of my abilities. I am no longer working on the farm but I do have alot of knowledge about it to pass on.
Posted By: smallcreek55

Re: wild plant seed sources - 09/03/13 11:40 PM

Horizon Herbs
© 2024 Trapperman Forums