Home

What seeds are these?

Posted By: DAStrapper

What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 03:15 AM

Posted By: Skykeeper

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 04:24 AM

Little hard to tell for sure without a good picture of the plant , But looks like maybe wild ginseng .
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 04:37 AM

Indian turnip or Green dragon seeds.
Posted By: ohbuyer II

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 12:08 PM

Jack in the pulpit for sure.

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 12:19 PM

There was no leaves when I found this just the seed.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 06:33 PM

whatever ya do don't eat the root.we have alot of them and some locals like to tell the unknowing to eat it just like an onion.after they eat it it feels like a porky swatted their tongue,eyes water,and some even throw up.i have probably walked a hundred yards a hundred times to go get that giant seng plant over there only to have it be one of them buggers.they do buy the dried root but i have always sold mine green to a large greenhouse we have.

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ohbuyer II
Jack in the pulpit for sure.

Indian turnip, green dragon or jack in the pulpit are all about the same thing. The green dragon leaves are a bit different than Indian turnip or jack in the pulpit. Without the leaves it is difficult to make a positive identification ,but, the root from jack in the pulpit and green dragon or both bulb roots and both have the same chemical that makes your mouth feel like it has a thousand needles in it. Indian turnip is a slang name that can be used on either plant.
Green dragon can grow as tall as 3 ft. or a bit more. Jack in the pulpit is usually less than or about a foot tall. Big diference in the way the two plants look.

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/16/12 09:16 PM

Go to this site to see a picture of a green dragon.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ARDR3
the latin name for the green dragon is Arisaema Dracontium
the latin name for jack in the pulpit is Arisaema Triphyllum
Posted By: stan meyers

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/22/12 04:38 PM

Yep pcr2, why does it seem to grow atop a cliff lol, that big ball of red berries has caused me greif.
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/23/12 01:01 AM

In these parts Jack in the pulpit, and Indian turnip are one in the same.

The berries are a slightly lighter red than 'seng. With experience you won't look twice at Indian turnip berries.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/23/12 01:29 AM

def has caused me to stop and do a double take...those red berries can def grab your attention.

dug and sold alot of indian turnip over the years.

Re: What seeds are these? - 08/23/12 04:50 AM

do they still buy them and who. The woods I have is full of them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums