Home

Pawpaw seeds

Posted By: pick65

Pawpaw seeds - 07/31/12 07:52 PM

Looking for seeds from a southern varity of PAWPAW.
The tree/plant grows more like a bush than a tree
and has thin in lenght leaves, looks like willow leaves.

Looking to grow these in a northern climete, any
advice woul;d be appreiacted.

Thanks!!

Pick65
Posted By: ohbuyer II

Re: Pawpaw seeds - 07/31/12 07:58 PM

pick, Im thinking the Southern varity is more of a evergreen. Not to sure it would grow in the Northern climate.
Posted By: chessydogs

Re: Pawpaw seeds - 08/02/12 01:45 AM

Guess you are asking about Smallflower pawpaw (Asimina parvifolia). Not supposed to get much more than 5 foot tall. Range maps show it growing as far north as Virginia so there might be a few areas in Pa that it would survive. Louisiana Forest seed company may be able to supply seed (318-443-5026). Have only grow Asimina triloba so it may not be the same. We plant the triloba seed in the fall about 1.5 inches deep. It doesn't germinate until June or early July the next year. The seedlings grow about 4 to 6 inches tall by fall. We keep it in the bed for a second growing season and have plants from 12 inches to about 30 inches tall after the second year.
Posted By: Captain Caveman

Re: Pawpaw seeds - 08/15/12 11:16 PM

I have some seeds from the southern variety. Pick65, if you'll PM me with what you want I might can help you.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Pawpaw seeds - 08/16/12 01:47 PM

I read somewhere that they may grow in some places in PA but are likely to not bear any fruit.
That said, I'm going to try to grow some too. I plan to plant them in a varity of areas on my property to see where they do best.
Posted By: ohbuyer II

Re: Pawpaw seeds - 08/16/12 02:37 PM

they do grow in pa. I have some on my property and they bear fruit. Plant them just in the wood line so they get sun and plant 2 or 3.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Pawpaw seeds - 08/16/12 05:29 PM

Ohbuyer, are they a fairly dependable crop of fruit?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums