Posted By: GRINNER SKINNER

pokeroot ? - 09/18/11 08:27 PM

is it like pokeberry like a weed in my fields ? tx
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/18/11 08:49 PM

Maybe. Any pics?

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/18/11 09:21 PM

Ill try to get some its tall big leaves purple berries really stalky when ya hit it with a corn knife ....lol

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/18/11 11:13 PM

Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/18/11 11:15 PM

Yep, that's poke.

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/19/11 12:19 AM

Thanks dave may learn how to dig some generic roots before I dig up the ginseng I found lol
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/19/11 04:31 AM

Poke is a saleable root. I can give .75 cents a lb. for it cut and dried. Tons of the stuff around. A fella should be able to get rich digging the stuff, but you can't. It has huge roots on it.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/19/11 01:00 PM

yepper, like don said,,,some of the roots get huge!!!!!

it's not unusual sometimes to find roots that are 25 -30 lbs green.

cut the roots into smaller pieces though,,,,,,,,,the smaller the better,,,,,,,,make sure it's gets plenty of air circulation because it can mold on ya.

.75 cents don't sound like much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it adds up quicker than ya think.
Posted By: jeremy brua

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/20/11 01:44 AM

How small can you slice it? Like potato chips?

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/20/11 03:34 AM

you can cut it however small you you choose...lol.

howver 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks work pretty good.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/20/11 11:44 PM

when is the best time to dig it?

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/21/11 01:57 AM

now............the tops are dying off which will give more wight to the root.

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/21/11 01:58 AM

there used to be a market for the berries as well...............none now that i'm aware of............i used to dry them in my dehydrator.
Posted By: trapper man

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/21/11 01:54 PM

Are the berries safe to eat?

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/21/11 09:02 PM

I was always under the impression they was not fit for human consumption.

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/21/11 10:03 PM

don, i'm not sure what they used them for.............who knows,,,,maybe it was for medical research..............

i've harvested some crazy stuff.......i once had an order for poison ivy.

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/22/11 04:47 AM

I can still buy poison ivy, but don't want to mess with it. It is worth 2.50 a lb. for the leaf.
Posted By: crawdad crawford

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/25/11 03:26 PM

if you cut the greens down and boil em before they start to make berries its really good. never tell the difference in collard greens.

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/25/11 03:38 PM

I have green eggs in the spring each and every year. Mix polk tops with scrambled eggs and ya just can't go wrong. I just pick the tops in the spring when they are real tender.
Posted By: crawdad crawford

Re: pokeroot ? - 09/25/11 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
I have green eggs in the spring each and every year. Mix polk tops with scrambled eggs and ya just can't go wrong. I just pick the tops in the spring when they are real tender.

My grandpa preferred pigs brains with his eggs...never could tell where the eggs ended and the brains began lol. also grew up eating souse meat--ppl think im nuts
Posted By: Reggie Johnson

Re: pokeroot ? - 10/08/11 02:46 AM

This is one way to use poke leave to cook fish, and it adds a great flavor to the meat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar1v4jcZMRE
Posted By: pappy t

Re: pokeroot ? - 10/11/11 12:06 AM

I dug a couple poke plants growing along my back yard today. I've never dug it before so I was just curious as to what it looked like.

Found out I need a long bladed shovel cause the round one I was using just wasn't doing it. Left about half of each in the ground. I took the pic after washing it off with the hose. I later cut it up about 1-2" long chunks. Just wondering, how much weight does it lose from green to dried? Also, what do ya'll use to cut it up with? I had to use an axe. I figured I've got about 5 lb. of green there.

Re: pokeroot ? - 10/11/11 12:14 AM

pappy, the halves you left in the ground will come up next spring.

your gonna lose a fair amount....i'd guess about like seng....3-1...maybe a lil more..lots of moisture in pokeroot thats why ya gotta cut it up.........or it will mold and rot on ya.

i use a hatchet to chop mine up.

poke is still worth goin after,,,,,,,it may not seem like that much per pound,,,,,,,but it adds up. poke aint that hard to dig really if you use a spade,,,,,,,and it's everywere.
Posted By: pappy t

Re: pokeroot ? - 10/11/11 12:30 AM

Thanks foxkidd, I'm just trying to learn something new.

Re: pokeroot ? - 10/11/11 01:01 AM

yqw pappy.............we all gotta start somewere.
Posted By: p barrett

Re: pokeroot ? - 10/27/11 02:39 AM

i dont know any better so dont laugh.can i use a skid steer with a root rake to dig up poke root or would it damage it to much.i am real new but seriously i have a patch of solid poke about 100 ft by 75 ft.do u cut them with knife,saw or chop with machette?

Re: pokeroot ? - 10/29/11 06:13 PM

i use a spade to dig mine up.......u really can't damage pokeroot for market because your cutting it up anyway.

i use a hatchet to chop mine up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums