Home

Help with identification

Posted By: scout406

Help with identification - 09/05/11 06:24 PM

While out scouting along the river today I came across these. The 1st two photos are of a plant I have never seen before nor did I see anymore today. The seed stalks were very bright red and could be seen for some distance. The last photo is a mushroom that appeared to be growing on a hardwood log. There was a lot of coral mushrooms in the area but this type was the only ones in the area. Just wondering if anyone knows what they are and if worth looking for in the future. Thanks
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Help with identification - 09/05/11 08:12 PM

The top pictures of the plant are called dolls eyes and the real name is bugbane or baneberry. The berries are poison.
Posted By: doyleflory

Re: Help with identification - 09/05/11 08:56 PM

I think the mushroon is a bear's head tooth.If it is it is eatable.Make sure it is before trying it.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Help with identification - 09/05/11 09:16 PM

The mushroom looks like lions main or bears tooth, Ive heard it called by both names. I know of no look-alikes but you should check to be sure. They are excellent. I wish I could find some.

Did find some chants and black trumpets today.

Re: Help with identification - 09/06/11 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the help.

How would you prepare the mushroom ?

Re: Help with identification - 09/06/11 04:38 PM

Well I went out this morning and picked the Bear's head Tooth mushroom. I read a lot about it now that I knew what it was. Will try a small sample suatteed in butter and oil.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums