Home

Know the Laws Folks

Posted By: ohbuyer II

Know the Laws Folks - 06/13/11 06:49 PM

Folks, please check your State Regulations on harvesting Roots or Herbs. I have received a few pms reguarding if it were legal to harvest on State grounds.Here in Ohio its illegal to pick or dig anything on State ground unless you have a permit for Wayne National Forest.
If anyone wants to add there State to this thread feel free.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/13/11 07:45 PM

i'm glad you thought about posting this......it is illegal in illinois to dig ANYTHING on state grounds and you need special permits to dig on national forest lands. there are also preserves that are off limits....use your head, if your not 100% sure...find out before you dig or harvest......ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION TO GO ON PRIVATE LAND.....collecting roots and herbs are no diffrent than huntin, fishin or trapping.
Posted By: stan meyers

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/13/11 10:43 PM

Most state lands in tennessee are off limits some Wildlige management areas do have a gensieng season but no other plants, berry picking is gererally permitted. Permission is required for private property.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/14/11 04:25 AM

Same in Indiana. State land is a problem when harvesting roots or herbs. As stated, always get permission and always leave 30 to 40 per cent of a patch for future growth. Never dig a bed of plants so that there are none left. Plants are not like animals so we must be the steward of the plants.
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/14/11 09:43 AM

Good post guys...Tom
Posted By: stan meyers

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/14/11 06:19 PM

So right you are Don,I wish everyone was smart enough to leave behind plenty to ensure a future, too often I've seen were roots have been completely eradicated by over harvest.
Posted By: coondawg

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/17/11 01:08 PM

You are allowed to pick on state grounds here Tim. Just no root digging. You can still pick berries,mushrooms,etc. I was talking to a friend of mine with the odnr and he said that they have been getting a ton of complaints about early ginseng digging and trespassing diggers this year already.
Posted By: ohbuyer II

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/17/11 01:14 PM

Josh, I should of clarified the mushroom , berry, nut thing on State ground. But here the local park system ( Stark Parks )there is no picking or digging anything.That includes mushrooms ,nuts,and berries.
The digging Ginseng part don't surprise me a bit.
Posted By: coondawg

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/17/11 01:18 PM

That's another good point. A lot of people don't realize that state parks and wildlife areas are tow totally different divisions here and in turn have different laws and regulations. Bottom line is to be sure of where you are and what your allowed to do. You don't want to spend any profit you mint make from digging on a fine...
Posted By: nick123

Re: Know the Laws Folks - 06/18/11 01:35 PM

nc law requires permits and limits on national forest land
© 2024 Trapperman Forums