Home

General root information

Posted By: don Wolf

General root information - 06/08/11 03:46 PM

Fellas I copied this from my post on the regular forum, but, I think it has some information that may be of concern to root diggers.

Getting roots ready for market is just as valuable to the digger as the root or herb itself. I have looked at and downgraded loads of poor handled roots and herbs in my buying years. I have had people bring Ginseng in that was put into a microwave oven and cooked, also put in conventional ovens and cooked. That completely ruins the roots when that is done to them. Also to much dirt left on roots, and in Ginsengs case, not enough dirt left on it or way to much. It must be handled in a certain way to make beautifull finished product.
All other roots and herbs must be very nice and clean without any kind of sticks, off roots, rocks etc. left in the finished product. They must be dried to a almost perfectly dry stage, with very little to no moisture left in the roots or herbs. Actually they need to be dried to the point that when broken, they break with a nice clean snap. Ginseng must also be dried to that moisture content, but, never snap or break a piece of Ginseng. If you do, you damage it. All other herbs and roots it won't bother a thing to bend the product and break it.
Once again Guys and Girls, you are getting into another wild crafting typ lifestyle and just like fur, it must be done in a particular manner to get top price for your product. If you don't want to handle the product in the correct manner, then leave it in the ground or on the bush it grows on.
I buy all manner of roots and herbs in the green state, just as many other root buyers do. You get a pretty good deduction on weight when selling your roots green. There is a ratio of green to dry, but it all depends on what kind of root you dig and what time of the year you dig it. That is the way I figure green prices. for example, goldenseal dug in late April to early June may take 5-7 lbs of it green to make a lb. dry. But Goldenseal dug in late October will only take 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 lb. of green root to make a lb. of dry. Weight also differs in the typ of soil you dig in. Real light weight loamy soil will give you lighter weight roots than roots that are dug in heavy clay soil.
Posted By: Lonewolf72

Re: General root information - 06/09/11 01:06 AM

Thanks,Don. This helps. I've always wanted to get started, but never could find out how.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: General root information - 06/09/11 12:40 PM

don,if i could i'd like to add a lil note as well.

the pictorals of the roots and herbs will be quite extensive......so it may be difficult to answer a question sometimes due to the large amount...........if i do not answer your questions in a timely manner...it's probably because i did not see it.

plese feel free to send me a private message if you have questions posted and i'll probably have a better chance of seeing it.

thanks
Posted By: seeknulfind

Re: General root information - 06/09/11 04:30 PM

Thanks Don,

This information is a great help.

Andy

Re: General root information - 06/09/11 05:01 PM

Foxkidd44, you can add to any thread or post I put up. You have a great knowledge about the root and Herb gathering game. As far as that goes, anybody with good reliable information should add their 2 cents worth, even ohbuyer.
I can still learn things from others also.
Posted By: Ohio Andy

Re: General root information - 06/10/11 04:00 PM

Glad to see OHbuyer was added as a moderator of this forum. Good addition in my opinion.

Re: General root information - 06/11/11 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Ohio Andy
Glad to see OHbuyer was added as a moderator of this forum. Good addition in my opinion.

i second that.

i had to pass as far as being a mod.........i'm just way to busy and would not be able to give it the proper attention needed.
Posted By: stan meyers

Re: General root information - 06/11/11 09:40 AM

The pics on these posts far exceed any I have ever seen in any book or online, I have always wanted to dig star grub and star grass anybody got a pic?
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: General root information - 07/09/11 11:46 PM

Since Paul opened this forum, I know that I look at nearly all plants in a way I never did before.
Thanks to Paul for adding this and to all the knowledgable moderators who share their expertise.

One more reason to spend time in the woods. smile...and this site!
Posted By: K9Wolfer

Re: General root information - 09/23/11 08:15 PM

http://www.wildgrown.com/growing_ginseng_instructions.pdf
Posted By: p barrett

Re: General root information - 10/27/11 02:30 AM

any of you guys know if we have any saleable roots in fl other than poke?THANKS

Re: General root information - 10/29/11 06:09 PM

saw palmetto berries are usually saleable
Posted By: PopPop

Re: General root information - 01/08/12 06:58 PM

Don,
Do you have a list of roots / plants that you buy.
Thanks
Joe
Posted By: Chad Kamolz

Re: General root information - 01/09/12 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: TROP
Don,
Do you have a list of roots / plants that you buy.
Thanks
Joe

I was wondering about a list to, thanks. Chad

Re: General root information - 01/09/12 05:10 AM

I don't have a list, but I think I will be only buying bloodroot and goldenseal from now on. Getting hard to sell a lot of the other off roots and they just don't make it worth my time to handle .
Posted By: Chad Kamolz

Re: General root information - 01/09/12 12:50 PM

Do you know of anyplace that will be buying the lesser value roots.? Thanks, Chad

Re: General root information - 01/10/12 03:36 AM

chad...american botanicals is a place you can try
Posted By: bearroot

Re: General root information - 07/11/15 07:01 PM

Hey Don how much will you pay me for 2 pounds of blackcohosh?

Re: General root information - 07/17/15 10:11 PM

Hey Don how wood you like 2.5lbs of chicken of the woods
Posted By: Sgjones

Re: General root information - 09/25/15 03:19 AM

We live in NE MS and have 160+ acres to forage. Can anyone point us in the right direction on where to start?
Posted By: Wxpajw

Re: General root information - 12/15/15 02:01 AM

Sgjones, I'd say outdoors would be a pretty good place to start

Re: General root information - 05/30/16 11:52 PM

I am trying to get 15ld how much would you give me Don
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: General root information - 04/04/17 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Sgjones
We live in NE MS and have 160+ acres to forage. Can anyone point us in the right direction on where to start?
Good location to start is north facing hill sides with above average moisture
© 2024 Trapperman Forums