Home

wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 bloodroot

Posted By: foxkidd44

wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 bloodroot - 06/06/11 11:22 PM

ok gang here it goes........this is my first hack at trying to help you guys indentfy wild roots and herbs.

i'll try to get ya'll a few diffrent plants each week.

our first plant is bloodroot...bloodroot grows in the same type of terrain as ginseng,goldenseal, indian turnips wild trilliums {all which will be coverd}

the terrain is shaded and the trees are mainly maples, dogwoods, hickory.....if it's got alot of oak you won't find much bloodroot...oak makes the ground to acidic.

a picture of the bloodroot woods

here are a few pics of bloodroot

the dug root before washing

and after

some folks confuse bloodroot with wild ginger....which itself was bought at one time but i know of no market now.

wild ginger pics

as you can see, the wild ginger roots are stringy......wild ginger also has an aromatic smell.....almost a pepper like ............some folks still collect it, dry it, put it in a coffee grinder and used as a seasoning.

when digging bloodroot i prefer a long handled rounpoint shovel........it keeps me from having to bend down and stay off my knees.......because after a long day in the woods your back and knees will probably hate you if ya don't.

i use my packbasket ........when i dig a bloodroot...i lift it up to my hand, shake off the dirt, and throw it in my basket,,,,,it's quicker than ya think.

i wash my bloodroot in a plastic tote ..use cool water......warm water can mush your roots.

then it's time to dry.........i sometimes put my bloodroot in a dehydrator....sometimes it's dry overnight........another method is to find ya some old window screens.......just make sure you get air to all sides because bloodroot is quite prone to mold.

once your bloodroot is dry......store it in paper sacks.........never store it in plastic bags.......plastic will draw moisture and can cause your roots to mold.
Posted By: barbwire

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/06/11 11:27 PM

Nice post!
Posted By: CornFedCoon

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/06/11 11:29 PM

Cool! What is bloodroot used for?

Thanks for doing this. I'm sure this will be an interesting thread!

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/06/11 11:54 PM

bloodroot is used for gum diseases and as an oral anti bacterial.
Posted By: CornFedCoon

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/06/11 11:59 PM

Cool thanks!
Posted By: cattails

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 01:01 AM

What time of year do you recomend digging ... Sping, Summer ,Fall ??

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 01:17 AM

bloodroot can be dug year round, but the best time is in the fall,,,the roots are more potent and they tend to weigh heavier.
Posted By: muddyriverdogz

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 01:18 AM

Cool.
Posted By: Ohio Andy

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 01:24 AM

Why did you remove the finer roots from the main bulb? Any reason or did they just come off in the washing process?

Picture 7 to picture 8 ....

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 01:26 AM

andy, it was a diffrent root.........i dug a few pounds worth today.
Posted By: Canatrapper

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 01:47 AM

what does blood root go for?

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 02:12 AM

depends on the buyer right now it's around $5-$8 per lb
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 02:56 AM

Very interesting , thank you and keep it up. Hope this stuff gets archived.
Posted By: fishermanfred

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 03:19 AM

great post...I have seen blood root before and never new what it was...how would someone go about using it as an antibiotic?
Posted By: Lonewolf72

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 03:23 AM

Thanks a bunch. Please keep them coming. This is great info for me. Line drawings don't quite do the trick.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 04:31 AM

Ok fellas and gals here is some more info on bloodroot. In my area most of your bloodroot digging must be done before mid july. Bloodroot is one of the first plants to die off in the summer. If you wait untill fall in my area, you won't dig much bloodroot. It is one of the first plants to flower in the spring of the year and one of the first plants to develope it's seeds. That is why it begins the die off early. I have a few plants close to my house and some of them have started to die already.
I can use wild ginger root at 1.00 per dry lb. and bloodroot at about 7 .00 per dry lb. If you get larger quantities of the roots, I would be willing to offer a bit of a bonus on lots of 100 lbs. and up.
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 09:48 AM

Excellent post. Thank you. Tom

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: fishermanfred
great post...I have seen blood root before and never new what it was...how would someone go about using it as an antibiotic?

fred............i would not advise trying to use this yourself at home.......bloodroot is highly toxic and it can kill human cells.

pharmecueticals process the roots to make it safe for human consumption.
Posted By: seeknulfind

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 12:27 PM

Great post! Thank you.

Andy
Posted By: pcr2

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 02:08 PM

i have to wear gloves to dig my bloodroot or my hands blister,but it doesn't seem to bother my son.
Posted By: Actor

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 02:33 PM

Here is another photo of Bloodroot next to a Goldenseal Root.

garry-
Posted By: cndgmn

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 03:54 PM

Nice post.

Not much to add.Blood root looks like its bleeding if you break a root,hence the name.It seems like an odd thing to say...but don't let curiosity get the best of you by tasting it.In some studies it has caused cell mutation,not something you want to put in your mouth in raw form.
Posted By: little_D

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 05:20 PM

can u find it in michigan. I have spent countless hours in the woods and i dont believe i have ever seen a plant with leaves like what your showing.

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/07/11 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: little_D
can u find it in michigan. I have spent countless hours in the woods and i dont believe i have ever seen a plant with leaves like what your showing.

yepper, it grows in michigan
Posted By: Kirk Howes

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/08/11 04:57 AM

I used to make a tea with wild ginger when I lived in Michigan.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: wild roots and herbs pictorial #1 - 06/08/11 11:16 PM

Bloodroot will make you puke if ingested (personal experience.) It is a purgative. Also the red color was used as a dye. Pretty white flower in the spring. I have a pet bloodroot in a clay pot - 3 years old now.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums