Home

GINSANG PATCH

Posted By: bigbuckg5

GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 07:19 PM

Just seeing if anyone can post some pics or see if there patches are coming up.I checked mine out when I was home from IRAQ on my RR and they were all up accept a big 4prong don't know if a deer killed it or something.But it had over40 berries last year.I have over 275 plants up this year they are starting to reseed there self's.So if any one can post some pics.I would like to see some patches.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 08:08 PM

Posted By: niteprowler

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 08:30 PM

Thanks Don.Beautiful!
Posted By: Hillbillybear

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 08:41 PM

Four pronger and a days work.
Posted By: Tsarevna

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 08:55 PM

Pretty nice.

I know growing it in the backyard can be kinda difficult.

Is it possible to "seed" it out in the wild for future harvest? confused
Posted By: aaron32

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 09:42 PM

a few pounds here...

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 10:23 PM

Gerty all I've ever dug has been wild. I do have a few in shaded flower beds just to watch and gather seeds from. I do however plant seeds back when digging roots.
Posted By: randy r

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 10:33 PM

I have one in my patch that never came up this year when I planted it 12 years ago it was a 13 prong and 47 years old that makes it 59 years old.Heres the question should I dig it up its a monster the biggest root I ever saw I surly dont want anything to happen to it!
Posted By: motrapperjohn

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 10:56 PM

Planted about 2 pounds last fall and early this spring and have found only 2 or 3 plants that have come up so far. The stuff I have planted in years prior have done fine with about 75% coming up.
Posted By: FATCAT!

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 11:09 PM

saw this post then went fishing, I stumbled on a large patch and will revisit aug 1,opening day. woohoo...TOM
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 11:37 PM

i sure hope you guys did not dig any of that seng this spring...culivated or wild.....those seeds are worth waiting for,,,,and fall dug root weighs a little more.

and if wild dug.........in some states it's against the law.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 11:44 PM

All the ginsang is wild I started when I found some on my father inlaws land and have took the berries and planted them all over the place.It is doing really well as long as the deer stay off of the plants.OHIO season dosent come in until late Sept.So I will be home by then and might just get a little digging in.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/06/11 11:50 PM

Is this planted ginsang.Looks alot differnt from mine.
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/07/11 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: randy r
I have one in my patch that never came up this year when I planted it 12 years ago it was a 13 prong and 47 years old that makes it 59 years old.Heres the question should I dig it up its a monster the biggest root I ever saw I surly dont want anything to happen to it!

13 pronger?? Most I've ever heard of is 6. I've dug several 5 prongers that were over 60 years old. Sure you weren't hitting the bottle and seeing double or triple? lol
Posted By: aaron32

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/07/11 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: foxkidd44
i sure hope you guys did not dig any of that seng this spring...culivated or wild.....those seeds are worth waiting for,,,,and fall dug root weighs a little more.

and if wild dug.........in some states it's against the law.

the pics i posted was dug 2 years ago when the PA season was in and it was all wild ....
Posted By: muddyriverdogz

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/07/11 01:20 AM

Real good pics.
Posted By: randy r

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/07/11 01:21 AM

Heres the deal when I dug it'it had 4 prongs with 7 leaves on each stem in the middle where the berries usually grow was 9 more prongs with 3 leaves on each.Then another stem came up with berries on it.To me it was a 13 pronger. The root is really big!
Posted By: barbwire

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/07/11 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: randy r
Heres the deal when I dug it'it had 4 prongs with 7 leaves on each stem in the middle where the berries usually grow was 9 more prongs with 3 leaves on each.Then another stem came up with berries on it.To me it was a 13 pronger. The root is really big!

I seen a picture of one like you describe,it was 12 or14 prong
Very different looking seng plant for sure!
Posted By: bglong

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/07/11 12:26 PM

randyr,
They don't come up every year, so I wouldn't worry about it. If it is in a well drained area, and none of the plants nearby come up with root rot, I'd wait until next Spring.
Posted By: patch

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/07/11 12:45 PM

where is a reputable place to purchase the seeds to plant your own? thanks

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/08/11 10:57 AM

IS THERE ANYMORE PICS OF PATCHES OUT THERE
Posted By: stan meyers

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/08/11 12:05 PM

Dave I have seen plants as randy dec\scribed, or rather a picture of one at my root buyers place, my personal best was a 7 prong which was a 4 and a 3 prong stalk coming from the same root.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/08/11 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: patch
where is a reputable place to purchase the seeds to plant your own? thanks

Get hold of me durring seng season. I sell seeds each season. Send me a pm and I will give you contact info.
Posted By: Stringbean

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/10/11 01:48 AM

It was VERY hard to find seed (for sale) last year due to the wide spread drought. Will that drive the price of seed up this year?

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/10/11 08:41 PM

Patch Southeastern Outdoor Supply has seed for $90 a pound. ph276-638-7841.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/10/11 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Hillbillybear
Patch Southeastern Outdoor Supply has seed for $90 a pound. ph276-638-7841.
I can almost always beat that price by a large amt. Last year my seed prices was in the 70 dollar range, but most generally around 60.00 or a bit less per lb. Also when you buy bigger quantities of it, you get cheaper prices. It won't do any good to ask how much it is at this time. I won't have any to sell untill sept.
Posted By: big al

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/11/11 11:02 PM

after you plant the seeds how long does it take before you can harvest it?

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/12/11 01:41 PM

big al hate to jump in and answer a question i wasn't asked but since nobody else has....

I would say somewhere between 7 and 10 years for wild simulated less for other cultivation methods. the longer you wait the bigger the root but growth may slow to the point waiting dosn't pay. also you can collect and sell seed during those waiting years, or of course plant it yourself.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/12/11 10:09 PM

Like stan said, it is better to sell closer to 10 years old and 12 years old if possible. 7-8 is fairly young but is saleable and depends on how good your quality is. But as far as that goes, quality must also be good at 12 years old to get a decent price.You will just get more for decent 10 to 12 year old stuff and even older is better for good quality.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/13/11 06:25 PM

THANKS TO ALL THE GUYS THAT POSTED PICS.I TOUGHT THERE WOULD BE ALOT MORE BUT IT STILL COOL TO SEE SOME PICS.
Posted By: ohbuyer II

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/13/11 06:31 PM

Took some pics over the weekend,I'll get them posted as soon as I down load them.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/21/11 08:15 PM

COME ON YOU ROOT DIGGERS LETS SEE SOME GOOD SANG PICS.I HAVE SEEN ALOT MORE ON HERE BEFORE.WELL TAKE IT EASY GUYS I WILL BE HOME SOON AND WILL TAKE SOME OF MINE AND TRY AND GET THOSE ON HERE.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/22/11 09:42 PM

i have a few pics from last season if your interested..lol.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/23/11 03:08 AM

here are a few pics from last year

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/23/11 06:50 AM

Some very nice seng
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/25/11 10:54 AM

Here's a few wild ones that I have been watching

Posted By: Tcat

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/27/11 12:23 AM

how do you identify ginsang
Posted By: stickbowhunter

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/27/11 01:33 AM

Tcat----If foxkid and kevins pics dont do it - I have no idea what to tell you.

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/27/11 04:18 AM

It don't grow in Idaho.
Posted By: glandman

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/30/11 01:26 AM

Don,
Does it grow in Maine? I have never heard of anyone harvesting any?
Posted By: dannyvp

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/30/11 02:44 AM

Never heard of people finding this in Mississippi.
What is the prong stuff?

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/30/11 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: glandman
Don,

I have never heard of any comming from Maine, but I guess it is possible.
Posted By: ewoktrapper

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 06/30/11 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: glandman
Don,

I don't know that to much of the wild grows in Maine.I do know a few guys that started it there and has done very well.They are both Below Bangor south Maine.
Posted By: nems bulldog

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 07/04/11 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: dannyvp
Never heard of people finding this in Mississippi.
What is the prong stuff?

it does grow in mississippi, well the northeast corner anyway. i knew a guy that dug it when i lived there. guarded several patches with cameras. he was a little crazy. also had star root there, whatever that is

Re: GINSANG PATCH - 07/21/11 08:22 PM

Well guys I know there are some patches up by now.So if any one would like to post some pics I would like to see them I hope my berries are still on when I get home so that I can planet them.But if not I am sure the chipmunks will have done it for me.LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums