Home

ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT

Posted By: wildturkey

ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/23/24 05:54 AM

I have one gallon of tainted venison. what one ingredent should I add to this? Or just use as is. for coyote,, fox and cats. first time making bait.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/23/24 10:48 AM

Castor

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/23/24 03:19 PM

IAbout how much to a gallon of meat? Thanks
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/23/24 11:33 PM

I’m no where near the lure and bait makers on here. I’d add enough until I could just detect it in the bait. Four ounces, eight ounces I don’t know.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/24/24 12:53 AM

If you have not preserved it I would add a cup of honey .
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/25/24 02:13 AM

I was going to say honey as well.

Honey has attraction, canines want to eat it, and serves many of the same purposes as glycerine. It is a humectant, works as an antifreeze and a binder, and has very mild preserving properties.
Posted By: 080808

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/25/24 11:47 AM

Would “end” of season maple syrup serve the same purpose?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/27/24 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
Castor

This would be my top choice. 2-3 oz of ground to the 1 gallon of meat. I'd use sodium benzoate to stop the tainting before it gets a rotten smell, then add the castor. Rat glands would be my #2 choice, and skunk essence #3.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/27/24 03:48 PM

Just food for thought, I believe it was Carmen that stated in his book that he believed castor was over rated as a k9 ingredient. From my testing id concur with his findings. There's a good list of ingredients I'd call top shelf type that I'd put ahead of castor. Castor does have some attraction and I do use it some as a second tier ingredient in coyote formulation.
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/27/24 07:02 PM

My second item is a Sun Rendered Oil. Bait's need some Fat.

I have used Trout, Salmon, BTO. and Bobcat fat.

Lol, It's no fun too make Baits unless they have 5 or more ingredients.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/27/24 07:07 PM

I have a couple “must haves” for a canine bait, IMO.

Also a couple overrated ones. Asafoetida being the biggest one!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/27/24 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane

You think they are wise to the asafoetida because of over use or because it just doesn't have the attraction to start with?
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/28/24 12:01 AM

Whole muskrat pods that you grind yourself so you know they are good. Trout oil would be my other choice.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/28/24 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Boone Liane

You think they are wise to the asafoetida because of over use or because it just doesn't have the attraction to start with?

Don’t know. It’s definitely a very common ingredient in old timey recipes.

Its response from canines has always been disappointing to me. I’ve bought it, made my own, weak tinctures, strong, etc.

I’ve got 100 other things in my shed that get much more intensive responses. Stuff that can still illicit a response from my dogs that are around this stuff every day and get trapped a few times a year.

Now perhaps it combines with other stuff and gets better in formula (it almost has to).

The last two experimentals I’ve been messing with have none in it. And I’m not missing it!

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 02/28/24 11:34 PM

I appreciate all the answers. I just bought some of the things ya"ll said are not so good Lol ! But I have 3 gallons of old honey I have had for years. It"s very dark, but still good. I think I"ll try some of that.
Posted By: papabear!

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 04/11/24 06:01 PM

Two that I have outstanding results with. The top oil skimmed off of rendered down beaver fleshing's.....and the gooey liquid from rotted down skunk carcasses. Both of these materials are very good liquid baits all on their own but will greatly enhance any meat you mix it into if you choose to use them that way.
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: ONE ITEM TO ADD TO BAIT - 04/12/24 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by papabear!
Two that I have outstanding results with. The top oil skimmed off of rendered down beaver fleshing's.....and the gooey liquid from rotted down skunk carcasses. Both of these materials are very good liquid baits all on their own but will greatly enhance any meat you mix it into if you choose to use them that way.

AMEN!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums