Home

5+ years old deer liver ?

Posted By: Archeryguy

5+ years old deer liver ? - 12/13/22 01:50 PM

Ran across a bottle of chunked deer liver in a corner of my basement that I had completely forgot about. It's at least 5 or possibly more years old. I cracked the lid and was surprised at how pleasant, almost sweet the odor is. Any suggestions on uses for this treasure I discovered? There are still chunks but it's mostly a dark liquid. I'm primarily a coyote trapper.

P.S. Also found a 5 plus year old bottle of Dunlaps Hellfire and Mirandas High Plains. Cracked those lids and now the wife is (can't say the word on trapperman) about the whole house smells of skunk. lol
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: 5+ years old deer liver ? - 12/18/22 01:56 AM

Sorry, I have never used aged liver. If you have dogs & cats put some on a stick and watch them. If they eat it and want more? You have a Bait ingredient. If they smell it and pee on it? you might have a Gland Lure ingredient? Of course it would be best to test on real coyotes. Let us know what you find out. We will keep it a secret?
Posted By: sportsman94

Re: 5+ years old deer liver ? - 12/18/22 12:59 PM

My dog eats everything I test on her. Even ingredients known not to be for food.

Archery guy, Tony F (I think) on here used to talk about aging deer liver as an ingredient that worked really well in his formulations. Sounds like you have some good stuff. I don’t know what direction to go with it, but I’m sure you can’t go wrong
Posted By: papabear!

Re: 5+ years old deer liver ? - 04/24/23 05:54 PM

Mr Archerguy, Take and pour off any watery juice that may be in the jar, then mash /mix the remaining chunks into a a paste. Take a pint jar and fill it half way with the aged liver. Now add and mix in some ground up dried or preserved beaver oil sacs to near full.....Add a few drops of true civet a couple drops at a time until you can barely smell. Let it age and odors meld together for a couple of months then check to see if you have the desired amount of civet. You now have a pint of very good coyote dope that is even better for bobcats.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums