Posted By: Trapper73

Making casteroum - 04/21/20 07:11 PM

When making casteroum
Which would be better
Glycol or a high proof alcohol.
Thanks
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Making casteroum - 04/21/20 11:16 PM

I'm no expert and there's guys on here that may have a better answer than me but I try to stay away from glycol. I've heard it can sour or kill the odor of some ingredients over time. No personal experience with it myself.

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 12:30 AM

Ok thanks
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 01:06 AM

Are you referring to tinctured castor?

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 01:30 AM

Yes last batch I made someone told me to use glycol and I put the whole dryed castors in there.and I let them sit alittle over a year.

Just drained off and it's really dark brownish black.
Does really smell bad.
Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Thank you

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 04:24 AM

I like using 100 proof vodka as the tincturing agent. 1/3 castor chopped up and 2/3 100 proof vodka. It works great, but takes time. In 6 months, you'll have some good stuff.

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 08:24 AM

Ok
Thank you

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 09:10 AM

Have one more question paul.
I bought some dryed castor from someone
It was very very dry.
So do I just put it in a coffee grinder to put in jar and then just add
100p vodka just above castor in jar.
Thanks what's a good time frame to dry before I chop to make it
If I dry them my self.
After the time frame of drying would you freeze then
Grind.
Thank you...
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 12:26 PM

You do understand you are making an extract and the vodka is what will be holding the Castor smell I assume. In a previous post you said you drained it off. What part were you smelling?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 12:40 PM

For holding the extracted castor after tincturing you will need something to hold the active odor. Blending a cutting oil with your vodka will serve to hold the material for long term use or storage. The alcohol will dissipate over time exposed to open air conditions.

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 01:36 PM

Hey Bob,
What you mean by cutting oil ..
Thanks
Posted By: thumper3181

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 09:44 PM

Would DEP work instead of alcohol?

Re: Making casteroum - 04/22/20 11:52 PM

I do use DEP about as much as I do alcohol.

I use the alcohol tinctured castor as an ingredient in lures. If you use it for a rub set for canines or cats, it still works well. The alcohol does evaporate, leaving only castor smell. Take a piece of cardboard and paint some alcohol tinctured beaver castor on it. After it dries, indicating the alcohol has evaporated, smell the cardboard. You should notice a nice castor smell.

Re: Making casteroum - 04/23/20 12:15 AM

Ok
Thanks
Posted By: thumper3181

Re: Making casteroum - 04/24/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I do use DEP about as much as I do alcohol.

I use the alcohol tinctured castor as an ingredient in lures. If you use it for a rub set for canines or cats, it still works well. The alcohol does evaporate, leaving only castor smell. Take a piece of cardboard and paint some alcohol tinctured beaver castor on it. After it dries, indicating the alcohol has evaporated, smell the cardboard. You should notice a nice castor smell.

So, would adding something like glycerin help hold the sent a little longer or would it just dilute it or is that what Mr Jameson is referring too?

Re: Making casteroum - 04/25/20 11:39 AM

I've never tried adding glycerine to tinctured beaver castor, so I couldn't tell you. When you apply the tinctured beaver castor, the scent will remain, even after the alcohol evaporates. I don't see were adding glycerine will make it hold the scent longer. It will only keep it a liquid longer.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Making casteroum - 04/25/20 12:23 PM

I do add glycerine to my tincture on some batches, I did this because I found on hard non-porous surfaces it seems to last longer in my ADC jobs in the summer, When I use it alone I do not want overpowering, just a little to direct the animal. Again seems to last a little longer may not be factual but in my mind, it works. When adding to lure formulations or baits there will be binders in the formulation so I do not use glycerin then.
Posted By: Den

Re: Making casteroum - 04/27/20 01:08 AM

If I could ask what is DEP
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Making casteroum - 04/27/20 02:20 AM

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Den
If I could ask what is DEP
© 2024 Trapperman Forums