Home

Stabilizing oils

Posted By: Badgerman50

Stabilizing oils - 11/09/19 08:13 PM

I was wondering if oils can be stabilized or stopped from going rancid using SB or methyl paraben. Anyone know and willing to share?
Posted By: Cope23

Re: Stabilizing oils - 11/10/19 02:08 AM

i think oil is oil. Any oil if ever made or used never lasted long enough to see if it goes bad. I have some for a year or 2 and it always seems the same. I wouldthink if there is some kind of residual in it it may change it but i dont know that for a fact
Posted By: wayne52

Re: Stabilizing oils - 11/10/19 08:11 PM

Salt works good just heat the oil first and 4oz or more to it
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Stabilizing oils - 11/11/19 12:49 AM

What kind of oils are you referring too? Essential oils, sun rendered type oils derived from organic fats, synthetic mfg. etc......
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Stabilizing oils - 11/11/19 02:29 AM

Thanks Wayne. 4oz per how much oil?

Bob, I have access to spent cooking oil from a fish and chips shop my neighbor owns. I use it for a variety of things including prebaiting for coyotes for both trapping and snaring on down to making homemade dog food. It smells just like a fish and chips shop. Dogs and coyotes love it. When I prebait with it, I find mud turds all around the area. I guess the coyotes eat the oil soaked dirt. I can pour it by itself down a dirt hole to good effect. I believe it’s canola oil. I get it in multiple gallons at a time. Usually enough for a year at a time. This year I got a lot more than normal and still have around 40 gallons left. I’d just hate to lose it. I know oil is fairly stable by itself and doesn’t rot like meat. I just want to try to keep it good for as long as possible.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Stabilizing oils - 11/11/19 02:40 PM

Now I understand about what you are referring too. With an abundant renewal source i wouldnt worry about it going rancid nor try to preserve it as you seek. Processed oils are fairly stable on their own but the heating process and other organic materials are subject to some breakdown over time and when heat exposed to a degree. Use it as is and call it good. Animals dont discriminate with such odors of opportunity and potential food sources.

Keeping the bulk batch somewhat cool out of direct sunlight would be my suggestion.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Stabilizing oils - 11/11/19 03:32 PM

you might be pleasantly surprised by how the rancid oil works. It will triggers another kind of response. Good or bad is up to the user to decide
Posted By: wayne52

Re: Stabilizing oils - 11/12/19 12:49 AM

galon. At fish and chip it my have salt already
© 2024 Trapperman Forums