Home

Muskrat k9 Bait

Posted By: 7D Outdoors

Muskrat k9 Bait - 12/31/18 05:21 PM

Looking for any and all ideas opinions and input on using muskrat as a base for a k9 bait.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 12/31/18 06:46 PM

I chunked some bobcat meat last yr and aged it till it was pretty loud then drained all liquid off it and then covered in cheap red wine for a couple months. After a couple months I drained all the liquid off. It had a sweet / sour odor to it. Tested very well for me. This could be a good starting point for you. There's a thousand ways to take it from here. I added a very small amount of almond extract to strengthen the sweet side of the odor.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/02/19 07:13 PM

I can tell you what not to try , lol ! I rotted some muskrat down to liquid and bones last year , I thought the smell was outstanding ! The coyotes wanted to roll on it when used on a pipe, so I put it in a hole and got no response at all !
Good luck !
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/02/19 11:45 PM

chunk it or grind it fresh and add a bait solution and it'll do great
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/05/19 12:48 PM

Fine line between tainted and raunchy rotten. One will get eaten, other will get rolled on.
Dobbins land sets book has great section on this. Raunchy rotten and rolling is generally followed by urge to urinate on something nearby. A post set near a set they have been rolling on is a great combination.

I've had pretty good luck with rat meat fairly fresh and preserved at that point. Even just half a bloody rat carcass in a dirthole is a great attractor by itself. Couple years in a row now we ground rat carcasses and mixed with ground carp, preserved that mixture fairly fresh, and it has worked really well on coyotes and coon both, especially did well at remakes with that bait. We didn't add anything else to it other than sodium benzoate.

Going to make more of it this spring.

Jim
Posted By: tbn

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/05/19 02:04 PM

Mine is liguid and stringy no rolling just coyote after coyote.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/05/19 03:10 PM

My experience is if the coyotes like the smell they will want to wear it. There isn't too many lure that would get a rolling response along with other responses. Even urine can get rolling response.
Posted By: Bruce Rhoads

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/19/19 04:40 AM

"Even urine can get rolling response."

Even good urine can get a rolling response.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/19/19 05:39 PM

How are you using it tbn ?
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 01/28/19 12:33 AM

I have a mock scrape deer scent I make that the deer won't leave it alone and the fox roll in it every chance they can, very sweet smelling.
Posted By: LuckyYote

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 08/11/19 09:31 AM

Muskrats work great for me. As does beaver. I lightly taint them. Have better luck that way in my area as opposed to heavily tainted
Posted By: HogWylder

Re: Muskrat k9 Bait - 08/12/19 05:21 PM

Rat glands are beyond excellent for K-9's. Here is a little something that might work for you. It honestly works for most people and it works real, really well. It's just really expensive to make at the moment with the prices of certain ingredients being what they are....

Rat glands & castor with a bit of Asafoetida or loveage and a bit of either civet or tonquin.

Crazy good stuff here in OK.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums