Home

Is the meat safe to eat?

Posted By: MAtrapper

Is the meat safe to eat? - 11/12/10 05:50 PM

This is a legitimate question that I'd like to get the answer to. Let's say hypothetically that a trapper were to euthanize a raccoon in a CO2 chamber. Would the meat be safe to eat? Thanks,
Hungry and Wanting to Know
Posted By: mnchocolab

Re: Is the meat safe to eat? - 11/22/10 05:47 PM

I would believe so, as all you are doing is intoducing carbon dioxide and that displaces the oxygen. So basically think of it this way. A person was to choke on a piece of food, it is the same thing. Just like a dispatch snare kills an animal, all it is doing is asphyxiating the animal. So yeah the meat is good. All you are doing is depriving him of oxygen. Eat up!! Hope it tastes good!
Posted By: Tsarevna

Re: Is the meat safe to eat? - 12/08/10 03:06 AM

I think it'd be perfectly safe to eat. The traditional method of slaughter is exanguination; slitting of an artery in the throat to bleed an animal. Blood loss does 2 things: deprives the animal of oxygen, (red blood cells carry oxygen,) and drops blood pressure down so low the heart can't beat, & the brain can't function.

What i'd do immediately following death is hang the coon up and slit the artery to start the bleeding process. Meat that is bled won't be as tough. You've got to bleed it before 15 mins goes by after death, because the blood will start to thicken and it won't work well after that.

(Remember to remove any scent glands: little brown pea-like blobs on the legs, armpits and throat.) If you can't bleed it, soak the meat in salt-water overnight in the fridge to leech out the blood. Fire up the barbie and enjoy. smile
Posted By: FATCAT!

Re: Is the meat safe to eat? - 05/17/11 11:04 PM

most meat in stores is packed with CO2 to keep its color..TOM
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: Is the meat safe to eat? - 06/08/11 11:09 AM

Try soaking it in vinegar, we soak birds harvested that way. The salt takes moisture away from the meat. Tom
Posted By: taxidermy dude

Re: Is the meat safe to eat? - 07/20/11 02:28 AM

I used to duck and goose hunt alot. I Talked to a guy about eating duck and he said he didnt eat it any more. You dont know what cess pool that duck spent last week on and ate all that junk on the bottom. I dont think I could eat to much out of the streams and slough's around here. Ill stick to my Deer and pen raised Chickens
Posted By: WhiteTail9

Re: Is the meat safe to eat? - 07/20/11 05:06 AM

duck is a prized and tender meat. My motto is, if it tastes good..EAT IT!
Posted By: AJE

Re: Is the meat safe to eat? - 01/25/19 05:55 AM

I personally don't feel coon are safe to eat, but some do.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums