Home

Traps for big Norway rats

Posted By: KYBOY

Traps for big Norway rats - 03/30/24 11:12 PM

Other than steel traps and the gold standard Victor snap trap are there any rat traps that will reliably kill big Norway rats? I've had bad luck with the Rex type traps, they just will not reliably kill these big rats it seems... Ill be honest, I have plenty of good rat traps,just wanted to try something different but the couple others Ive tried have been a failure. thanks
Posted By: warrior

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/30/24 11:24 PM

I rarely get a call for norways. Roof rats rule in Atlanta.

But I gave up on kill traps on them long ago. Not even the big pan snaps are consistent on the big adults. I go to cages for norways.

I'd like to try the Fenn traps but they ain't cheap.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 12:55 AM

[quote=warrior]I rarely get a call for norways. Roof rats rule in Atlanta.

But I gave up on kill traps on them long ago. Not even the big pan snaps are consistent on the big adults. I go to cages for norways.

Warrior, will squirrel size trap work? I use 6x6 size traps for squirrel.
Posted By: wws

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 01:58 AM

I have used 5x5x16 cage traps, I have also used the small RBG's- 2-1/2' or 3 inch. Trapping around the landfills you catch some big ones

wws
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 12:26 PM

If they are really big, would a tuned and fast 110 work? I've been working on some concepts........one with a pan with bait.......another with a modified trigger setup for runs. But I don't have rats to try them on.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 02:41 PM

I like the KORO squirrel trap for rats. I've caught a few in tube traps too. Squirrel size cages are good outside, if worried about non targets.
If you have an entry hole to put a #55 or RBG over, put a colony trap there for multiple catches. The situation determines the trap I use.

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 02:42 PM

I use to use 110's all the time in our barn. It was a huge barn with concrete foundation and a root cellar. Rats were everywhere and Id set jump traps and 110's on the walls and wall edges. I use to catch a lot like that... I'd just tune the trigger to fire crisp and light...
I actually always wanted to try some of the small RBG traps to set over dens

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 04:14 PM

Here is another rat sized trap from WCS.The one I have has a light trigger and is a hammer. The problem being the cost. Can get two Duke 110's for one of these.

So the review says the guy laid it flat? On a run? They stepped triggers? Wouldn't that also work the a 110?

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/BCSQ3.html
Posted By: TrapperE

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 04:35 PM

victor 110 should work in a piece of tile with bait in it

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 05:55 PM

Here are some of the ideas I was kicking around.

First is an old style Victor 110, laid flat with large pan. Blind set along a wall. Block off to the side to make a tunnel.

[Linked Image]

Same trap now set on edge. Opening blocked off......with small opening for them to push under......they go thru stuff like that all the time. Trap ought to have 4 way trigger and set lite. Trigger set off to the side to gain max leverage (light movement sets trap off).

[Linked Image]

Now showing a Duke 110 with same cardboard cutout, now in pan position. Block off back to make this a baited set, bait suspended above pan from above....stick, toothpick, paper clip, etc. Again, light trigger. Tip of that pan moves 1/4 inch and that trap fires. Rat sets one foot on it, he is a goner.

[Linked Image]

And the ultimate.......BMI 110......with bell shaped trigger. Set up along a wall run just as is. Impale bait on the triggers. Small piece of tootsie roll, bit-o-honey, bacon, salami, etc. Set it just as shown. That trap will stay set but fires if you look at it wrong. Rat could hit it with his whiskers and it will fire. Shame those are no longer made. There is much more to them than the bell shaped, 4 way trigger. The dog / clip fit was perfect. Spring is perfect. Jaw shape perfect.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: warrior

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 03/31/24 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by SGT. C
[quote=warrior]I rarely get a call for norways. Roof rats rule in Atlanta.

Warrior, will squirrel size trap work? I use 6x6 size traps for squirrel.

Yes
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 04/09/24 06:08 PM

Have you guys ever checked out Gregory Ross "the rat trapper" on YouTube? He shows how he modifies victor snap Traps for the reasons you talk about.

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 04/10/24 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
Have you guys ever checked out Gregory Ross "the rat trapper" on YouTube? He shows how he modifies victor snap Traps for the reasons you talk about.

no but I will, thanks
Posted By: run

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 04/15/24 03:39 PM

If you find a trap for big rats that works well- please keep us posted. Thank you very much!
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Traps for big Norway rats - 04/16/24 09:41 AM

Koro, new style. Quell are good too
© 2024 Trapperman Forums