Home

Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia

Posted By: TNADC

Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/01/23 07:54 PM

Tennessee requires ADC operators to adhere to the AVMA guidelines for euthanasia. I'm now on my second broken regulator from WCS and can not speak to the customer service representative until Monday. Is anyone else using a regulator that has cfm or lpm and where did you get it? I have found plenty with psi but not sure how to calculate the tank for psi.

Thanks
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/01/23 09:08 PM

Any welding supply shop, or Soda/Beer distributor should have guage's/parts/conversion tables.

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/01/23 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Any welding supply shop, or Soda/Beer distributor should have guage's/parts/conversion tables.

I have found plenty of gauges but all in psi. I have not found a way to convert psi to lpm. The WCS gauge was perfect when it worked but like I said I have been through two of them.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/01/23 11:53 PM

Howzabout maybe a medical supply place? PSI is pressure, LPM is Volume, Apples/Oranges.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/02/23 10:01 AM

Mig gauge is flow

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/03/23 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kermit
Mig gauge is flow

Thank you sir. I found a Harris heavy duty regulator that appears like it will do the trick. WCS is overnighting me another regulator but I may purchase the Harris as a primary or backup.
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/08/23 11:11 AM

WCS has one they sell that I bought. Works just fine.

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/09/23 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tommyran
WCS has one they sell that I bought. Works just fine.

I'm on my third from WCS. I normally run 24 lph for 5 minutes. Per conversations with WCS and Flametech, their provider, I'm going to dial back to 18 lph and try that.

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/10/23 11:36 AM

Yeah that's what I run 24. I did my first animal 2 weeks ago, a possum. She laid down at the 6 minute mark and went night night. 15 minutes later it was over. Very peaceful.

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/11/23 10:22 AM

I did three skunks yesterday at 18 lph for 5 minutes with the WCS regulator. Did the trick. The regulator does get frosty though.

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/11/23 11:19 AM

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind when I get the next skunk in a live trap. Save a little CO2.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/11/23 02:23 PM

5 minute skunks will net you a nasty surprise. They go to sleep quick enough but the do not necessarily expire in a timely manner.

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/11/23 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
5 minute skunks will net you a nasty surprise. They go to sleep quick enough but the do not necessarily expire in a timely manner.

I should add that I do cut the CO2 off after 5 minutes but they remain in the chamber approximately 15 more minutes.

Re: Carbon Dioxide regulator for euthanasia - 06/11/23 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by TNADC
Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly

I should add that I do cut the CO2 off after 5 minutes but they remain in the chamber approximately 15 more minutes.

That's what I do as well. Once I see them fall asleep I turn it off and wait 15-20 minutes. Then check.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums