Home

Do they share?

Posted By: Getting There

Do they share? - 10/27/17 07:33 PM

Had a call for a skunk under a 10 by 12 building. Set two traps. This morning I had two opossum. My question is will skunks and opossum share the same den?
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Do they share? - 10/27/17 07:37 PM

They must or someone doesn't know thier oppossum from a whole in the ground. Lol
Posted By: WPS

Re: Do they share? - 10/27/17 07:42 PM

yes they do... I have a setup right now with a one way nose cone covering the opening and have taken 2 opossums and 1 skunk in three days.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Do they share? - 10/27/17 07:52 PM

Yep, I have caught a gray fox, skunk, possum and groundhog in a foothold at the same hole.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Do they share? - 10/27/17 08:33 PM

Skunks are noted for being wanderers and not sleeping in the same place 2 times in a row, and Grinner's are not noted for being over smart. LOL
Posted By: sgs

Re: Do they share? - 10/28/17 10:07 AM

At this time of year, skunk dens are communal. They will generally put up with whatever will put up with them. Possums are probably the most common but I've also caught raccoon from a skunk den.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Do they share? - 10/28/17 07:01 PM

These two were taken from under the same structure. If you approached these two cages with your eyes closed you couldn't tell the difference in smell.

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Do they share? - 10/29/17 12:02 PM

I've caught lots of opossum that smelled like skunk. I used to think they didn't care if they were sprayed. Then 1 of each was caught on opposite sides of a hobby farm. We placed the traps beside each other while we rearranged the truck. The skunk let loose on the possum, and the possum tried to climb through the cage to get away.

I don't think skunks like to share the den, but possums aren't smart enough to avoid trying.

I've had porkies, possums, raccoons and skunks come out of a single hole. My guess is they were investigating a possible home site. I switched from a double door comstock to a single door and no more catches.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Do they share? - 10/29/17 03:15 PM

EatenByLimestone
Odd I catch most of my possums in a single door trap. It must be a Mi. thing. laugh
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Do they share? - 11/10/17 02:32 AM

Skunks will enter any burrow they darn well please. Who's gonna stop them?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums