Home

Mole question

Posted By: Trap Setter

Mole question - 03/26/17 03:23 PM

I caught a pregnant female yesterday and a male today in the same run. So my question is how many moles use the same runs and do you feel like the time of year has anything to do with it?
Posted By: Aggie73

Re: Mole question - 03/26/17 05:25 PM

Interesting question that maybe researching scientific studies could answer regarding the number of moles using the same runs. I'm sure it differs depending on mole subspecies, mole density, location, climate, insects, soil type, etc. On some of my trap sites, I can always depend on one or two major runs where I consistently catch mole after mole (Not always right away, tho. Sometimes a week, sometimes months apart.). These are surface/foraging runs I'm talking about.

There's no doubt timing of the year would be a factor in the number of moles using the same runs. Pheromone and musk secreting moles will definitely seek each other out during their breeding season. The emergence and abundance of earthworms, grubs, beetles, larvae, etc. in the spring will also be a factor. Later in the year, dispersal of the young will come into play.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Mole question - 03/26/17 08:38 PM

You don't want me to answer that question as it would skew the average catch data on what you guys call a normal mole job. smile
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Mole question - 03/27/17 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
You don't want me to answer that question as it would skew the average catch data on what you guys call a normal mole job. smile

Given that answer...it would all depend on what species of mole you are trapping
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Mole question - 03/27/17 12:34 PM

I am trapping my species of mole. grin
Posted By: AJE

Re: Mole question - 03/27/17 05:12 PM

There are some mole highways that connect off and on throughout the year, but most times I get 1 or 2 moles per trail. Probably good to plan for a pair. Then see what happens after that.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Mole question - 03/27/17 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
I am trapping my species of mole. grin

And i am trapping a different species of mole than you grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums