Home

Help with rabbits.

Posted By: Matt28

Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 04:56 PM

A lady swears there is rabbits eating her rose bushes and flowers. I have only caught 1 squirrel there so far, i have been using apple for bait and have two small cages set right where they have been chewing on the plants. Any advice its been 3 days and she says she see them at night hopen around.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 05:04 PM

You might try peanut butter
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 05:20 PM

Are Coni's legal there? Impale the apple on the trigger.

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 05:25 PM

No coni's. Even if they were legal she wouldn't like that.

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 05:51 PM

So, Cages only? Or can you flat set some footholds where they run?

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 06:12 PM

I can flat set if i find where they run may try that. Thanks

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 09:22 PM

Remember to run zero pan tension..

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 09:26 PM

Finding the trail will be the problem she keep that hole place cut like a golf course. I will check some more places out this evening

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 09:27 PM

Maybe you can find some droppings?
Posted By: Kyt

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 10:18 PM

Bait with sardines in oil. Try it. One of those crazy things that work.

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/27/17 10:53 PM

Probably the salt. Might consider pressing some salt into the apple pieces

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/28/17 01:09 AM

I caught one on a apple this evening. I took a look and found no tails and no dropping i checked out the wood stack and at the barn. I thought the may be going in the barn but thats shut up tight. They must come from the creek 400 yards away.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/28/17 02:31 AM

Sometimes it seems like a foothold can end up with a sprung trap and you find little more than a torn off rabbit leg as evidence.
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/28/17 02:13 PM

They should be relatively easy to catch w/ pyramid traps this time of year. A little harder in summer once there's food everywhere...
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Help with rabbits. - 02/28/17 03:38 PM

Rabbits are just as easy to catch as coyotes. Large two door cages with hay in the center. Put them along the route of travel and fence off so rabbit has to go into cage. I like the corners of the house especially. Even putting carpeting down in the cage helps but don't be surprised if it still takes a couple of days before you catch one.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Help with rabbits. - 03/01/17 02:00 AM

For the ones I used to live trap, which were just loose domestics, a cage trap fenced off in a travel route worked best. I used long boards for fencing, like a couple of 12 ft 1x12s. You don't have to be right on a path, just a general travel route. If you block off a wide enough area, they'd rather go right through the "hole" in the middle than go around. We used funnel/ colony traps too and could catch a bunch sometimes. Bait didn't work very well in summer when they had plenty to eat.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Help with rabbits. - 03/07/17 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt28
two small cages

If the cage traps are too small they won't go in. I've caught more bunnies in coon than bunny or squirrel size cage traps.

Fencing helps, as does having double doors. Seen tracks in the snow where they kept trying to get in the back of a single door cage. Took a couple days until they figured it out! (No fencing, that end had the apples and was in thicker cover... my bad!!)
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Help with rabbits. - 03/07/17 11:45 PM

Raise a couple of female bunnies in cages but for a hutch you use a wooden box big enough for a cage trap. After the hutch gets seasoned you switch it out with a fresh one and set the cage trap inside and bait it up. Easy Peasy!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums