Home

Raccoon in attic

Posted By: Hardcase

Raccoon in attic - 02/12/17 12:33 AM

An older gentleman from my church has coons in his attic. I have a live trap set behind his house. They are coming and going thru gable vent. What about putting 220 up there? Do you have an idea where to mount the 220?
Posted By: bigbadwolfwdc

Re: Raccoon in attic - 02/12/17 02:13 AM

Would it be easier to put a one way door on the entry point. Then once the coon is out remove the gable vent place wire meshing behind it and reinstall. Also I find it better if the trap is placed on the roof on some ply wood to keep the animal from tearing the roof up. As for the 220 you could make a nose cone from wire mesh attach to where the hole is. The raccoon will have no choice but to exit through it. The one way door would be the best bet if there are multiple raccoons and no young.

Mike
Big Bad Wolf Wildlife Damage Control
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Raccoon in attic - 02/12/17 02:26 AM

If you can't get it into a cage you'll have to use the 220. I mount a box over the entrance/exit.

Coons will make their own hole if they want. I've seen them tear through a brand new roof and sheathing. Seen them take siding off too. You're going to have to remove them from the property before any seal will be effective.
Posted By: bigbadwolfwdc

Re: Raccoon in attic - 02/12/17 02:34 AM

Wood box would be better than wire mesh. My question is how many coons could you pop with a 220 box set before the rest figure it out and make a different exit hole?
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Raccoon in attic - 02/12/17 01:11 PM

Only 1 way to find out! Have a 2nd box ready for when they do. I'd always rather not kill anything. If they decide to leave and never come back to my client all the better.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Raccoon in attic - 02/12/17 01:44 PM

Just be sure that there are not any young left behind to die and make a smell. Also, check your laws.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Raccoon in attic - 02/14/17 06:06 PM

Cages in the yard if possible, but can't always be done.
I have used bucket sets in attics often.......just saying.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Raccoon in attic - 02/15/17 03:33 PM

This one is caught with a ChimTrap over gable vent. I've done the same with a safeguard and nosecone. Worked especially well with a female with unreachable young. I take her down, roll her around and scare the hello out of her. Release on site, and within 24 hrs, she removes the young on her own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXc2OGr7GpQ
© 2024 Trapperman Forums