Home

Custom made nosecone???

Posted By: Moonpie

Custom made nosecone??? - 01/30/17 02:27 PM

How many of you use a commercially available trap like a Comstock or Tomahawk but make your own nose cones? I got some nosecones from Jim Comstock but they just don't fit the application I am needing. They are very well made just not what I need. So I spent an hour in the shop Saturday evening and made two different designs of nosecones that will work in multiple applications.
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 01/30/17 02:43 PM

I've made several including site specific nose cones.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 01/30/17 06:26 PM

Sure... use hardware cloth and zip tie it.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 01/30/17 06:42 PM

In this business custom making becomes an art

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 02/01/17 01:47 AM

And with whatever scrap you happen to have on the truck.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 02/01/17 03:36 AM

Slight deviation from the question, but still relevant. During peak skunk season, I had set up 3 jobs prior to the 4th and last set-up of the day. I had used up all my fencing boards for rigging positive sets, so at the last stop had to improvise. It was in a rural area (skunks under the house) and the only thing I could find to barricade the foundation gap was a pile of straw bales. Carried about 15 bales from the barnyard to the house, created a long blockade along the foundation, and left 4 gaps for traps. Worked like a charm! In other words..... don't be afraid to use ANYTHING you can find to git'r done.

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 02/01/17 03:40 AM

I've built plenty of these small wooden corner boxes for posi-setting squirrels (Bottom of pic). Use a hole saw for the outlet opening. Mount the wings right to the wood.

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 02/01/17 02:44 PM

What is the spring sticking out of the trapwith the squirrel in it? I've never seen a trigger like that.
Posted By: patriot_trapper

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 02/01/17 03:51 PM

http://fieldsdevsupply.com/squirreltraphooks.html

It secures the trap to the gutter.

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 02/01/17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot_trapper
It secures the trap to the gutter.

As noted, they are trap mounting hooks. Not only do they secure traps to gutter screws or brackets, I also use them on trap shelves for squirrel jobs. Makes changing traps quick, but most of all stabilizes the traps, preventing misfires when squirrels nose around the baited end of the trap. Catch ratios increased dramatically when I started securing squirrel traps.

Posted By: Moonpie

Re: Custom made nosecone??? - 02/03/17 02:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could post photos...but I am running off of a smartphone....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums