Home

Best squirrel traps

Posted By: Moonpie

Best squirrel traps - 01/07/17 04:46 PM

Our company is getting started into nuisance trapping...what in your opinion are the best live catch traps and where can we purchase them
Thanks
Moonpie
Posted By: AJE

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/07/17 05:01 PM

Little Wolf Trapping Supply LLC out of Manawa, Wi. His company has a Facebook page, but I don't think a website.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/07/17 11:49 PM

Thanks I will look him up on FB...any other suggestions?
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 01:00 AM

Believe it or not the double door have a hearts 5x5x18 are great. I use them in structures, flyers take to them well. Ground trapping I use full size 11x12x36 and the 5x5's together. Safeguard is my prefered brand for full sized cages.

Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 01:08 AM

Depends on the kind of squirrels you have. For fox squirrels, I want at least a 6 in. square by 18 in. long. I have watched Fox squirrels try to dig under 5 in. square traps, but not go in. Will send you a pm

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 01:17 AM

How about these:. http://www.livetrap.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=31785

They are tomahawk trap sets

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 01:24 AM

I am trapping/excluding grey squirrels here in Augusta GA

With the above set from tomahawk I will still have to make some type of cone to fit into a gutter...
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 04:43 AM

The most indestructible sq. cage I've seen is the AAC Proline. The next best is probably the WCS Special. Their ad is right above these posts.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 12:30 PM

Here's a link for you. The first two on the page are my favorites for grays and reds.

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/removal/SSQ.html
Posted By: bob pake

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 06:40 PM

You asked for the best. This may not be a good answer. But it is something to consider. We have a mixture of traps but we are gravitating to the cheapest trap that we can lay our hands on.
We had one of our many university students run over a large 12 X 36 safeguard. + more + more.
I would have thought it would be pretty hard to get a trap that big under a truck tire. But....But.....But.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 07:38 PM

Comstock swing panel 5x5 or 6x6...aint no squirrel gettin through trap n not firing it

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 11:52 PM

Thanks for the replies...I am looking into all of the and talking with Jim.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 11:52 PM

Tube traps are great in gutters!

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/08/17 11:54 PM

Yeah I would bet so traprjohn but in Ga it is live catch and relocate.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 01:00 AM

Anybody else have lethal set ups for grays they prefer besides tubes? I use cages now (mostly swing panels) but would like some lethal options for out-of-town jobs to avoid daily check. Daily checks are not efficient for absentee homeowners.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 01:43 AM

I was told by a home ownwer that he used 110 conibear traps over entry/exit holes...can't get much more lethal for squirrels than that...lol

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 02:05 AM

I 2 know a guy that has good success w/ a 110.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 02:48 AM

Quote:
Anybody else have lethal set ups for grays they prefer besides tubes?

I always go with a lethal trap if possible. Tube traps are my favorite but "mink boxes" are good too. I use 120 Victors in the boxes.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 02:57 AM

Rat traps work too. Im not talking about muskrat, but the wood plated $2 Victor rat trap in the mouse trap aisle. The guy puts them in a homemade box. He drives a few 1" drywall screws up through the wood. It helps hold even a gray squirrel.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 05:15 AM

I use rat traps in weasel boxes, for reds. Are grays fussy about trigger wires in a mink box type set up. I was thinking coni-pans might be the ticket. I may have to try and report back...

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 05:20 AM

I use rat traps in weasel boxes, for reds. Are grays fussy about trigger wires in a mink box type set up. I was thinking coni-pans might be the ticket. I may have to try and report back...

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 11:31 AM

They don't seem to be bothered by the triggers. I have very good success with them.

You really do need to be careful about where you set them though. Conibears aren't for every job.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 02:45 PM

He uses raisins 4 red squirrels. He catches grays too. I think on peanut butter or something.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 03:19 PM

Wish we could use conibears here but for ADC work in Ga it has to be live catch and release/relocate

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/09/17 06:31 PM

The abovementioned ideas for bait might still help u out. There's a squirrel lure on the market u could consider...like an ounce from a trapping supply house.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/10/17 12:51 AM

I make a peanut butter ball and roll it in black oil sunflower seeds.... That works too

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/12/17 12:44 AM

Had a great conversation with Jim Comstock today...I decided to go with his traps first and give them a go. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/12/17 01:19 AM

Good luck.

Speaking of squirrels, is it pretty rare 2 have a gray or fox squirrel b a nuisance chewer? Ive always thought it was just red squirrels that chew on houses, but this year I had a guy complaining that 2 fox squirrels were chewin on his wood deck.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/12/17 10:17 AM

All of our problems are from grey squirrels... excessive damage to exterior and even more to interior wiring. Don't know how to load photos or I could show ya.
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/12/17 03:05 PM

Greys are the culprits in about 90% of the squirrel calls I handle, fox squirrels the other 10. No red squirrels in my immediate area and while I'm sure there are flyers around, I've never had a call for them.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/14/17 03:05 AM

No reds down here...very few fox squirrels around here they are considered trophies!

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/14/17 03:34 AM

Too bad squirrel tails bring such little money.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/14/17 06:06 PM

Lol...yeah...mepps spinner baits will give ya store credit but that's about all

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/18/17 02:40 AM

It was Christmas in January this afternoon...big brown box at my office this afternoon wrapped in UPS stickers and my name all over it! Thanks Jim Comstock. I am excited and looking forward to putting these traps and nose cones to work!
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/18/17 05:40 PM

Just put some of Jim's swing panel squirrel traps to work this morning.

Re: Best squirrel traps - 01/20/17 04:28 AM

If I get in a situation where I want 2 catch a red squirrel but not a fox or gray one, is there a certain hole size I could use on a wood box entrance that would let the reds in but keep the other squirrels out?
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Best squirrel traps - 02/17/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: sgs
Quote:
Anybody else have lethal set ups for grays they prefer besides tubes?

I always go with a lethal trap if possible. Tube traps are my favorite but "mink boxes" are good too. I use 120 Victors in the boxes.

Rodent tank trap
www.budstrapco.com
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Best squirrel traps - 02/17/17 03:25 PM

AJE, before about 25 years ago the only squirrels we had in the Milwaukee area was Greys and Fox and only the Greys chewed into houses. Now we also have Reds and Flyers but Greys far outnumber the rest for chew-ins.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums