Home

Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders

Posted By: GW02

Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/24/16 01:34 AM

Any suggestions on how to coax chipmunks into a trap when multiple neighbors provide food for them? One of my customers is in between homeowners who feed wildlife by dumping bird, squirrel and cat food on the ground.

I normally use bird seed and peanut butter in a boxed rat trap with great success, but they're going to walk right by that now.

What else can be used for bait that isn't in the above list?

Thanks!
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/24/16 05:38 AM

Use some 2-door swing panel Comstock traps. Study the travel routes, and use boards (1x6's, etc) to create drift fencing. Edges of structures or fencelines work great.
Posted By: wileytrapper

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/24/16 06:50 AM

I use my weasel boxes with rat traps inside which sounds like what you are basically doing but try luring your boxes with walnut extract or most Walmarts sell a product in the hunting section called Acorn Buck Jam.

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/24/16 12:19 PM

Thanks! I'll try both suggestions and let you know what happens.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/25/16 01:42 AM

x2 on the weasel boxes with snap traps. I use them when having trouble determining what I am dealing with. Rat traps in a weasel box will do the job on chipmunks, red squirrels and mice alike. I also use the swing panels with good success.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/25/16 10:47 AM

If I were you, I'd use what they are eating if the baits you are trying aren't successful. Weasel boxes are very effective, we use our rodent bait for rats, mice, and chips with no complaints.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/25/16 04:15 PM

Hiding spots are always effective. Try the weasel boxes.

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/26/16 02:06 AM

The boxes I use are like weasel boxes, but with the hole cut on the bottom of the front instead of the middle. (How much impact does hole placement have?)

Panels are an excellent idea for extra funneling.

I'll steal some of the neighbors' "bait" food and try it some of them traps and use the walnut stuff in the others.

We'll see what happens.....
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Trapping chipmunks in the middle of bird feeders - 10/26/16 10:05 AM

Hole placement doesn't matter, they will get into the box if the bait is appealing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums