Home

Beaver and nutria rat

Posted By: BTodd

Beaver and nutria rat - 10/21/16 08:22 PM

I'm trying to trap the beaver and nutria rat from a pond. I trapped a big female beaver last spring that was nursing and i guess her kits survived. The question is what is the best set to make for a young beaver because they are not responding to castor mound sets? Also whats the easiest way to trap nutria? (I've never trapped nutria before). Thanks for any input and help.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Beaver and nutria rat - 10/22/16 12:06 PM

Blind sets for both. Find where they're vulnerable and block it with a 160/220. I catch quite a few nutes in the drainages outside of pond levees and bank den sets. Nutes aren't shy. Whack em, they can cause extensive damage.

Re: Beaver and nutria rat - 10/22/16 12:10 PM

By the way, 10lbs and down they're delicious. Fry the nutes like chicken with salt, cayenne, and garlic powder and when it comes out of the greease, cover with onions, bell peppers, and green onions for 7-10 minutes in a tiny ice chest or covered pot. You won't believe how good it is.

Re: Beaver and nutria rat - 10/24/16 12:01 PM

The 160/220 part was for nutes, if that wasn't understood. Use whatever size you need for the beavers, 280s/330s, whatever size
Posted By: BTodd

Re: Beaver and nutria rat - 10/25/16 08:55 PM

Thank you
© 2024 Trapperman Forums