Home

Foxes moving into suburbia

Posted By: Ron Scheller

Foxes moving into suburbia - 10/20/16 05:18 AM

I've noticed a very large increase in the number of foxes living in towns and cities over the past decade or so. Seems they are moving in town to have their young as a possible method to escape predation by coyotes. I rarely remove them, as they typically are not a problem, and offer free pest control for the area. They kill mice, rats, moles, voles, chipmunks and snakes... all the pests that people despise. Now if they start showing aggression towards kids or pets, that's a different story. In most cases they should be left alone. And NEVER fed.

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Foxes moving into suburbia - 10/20/16 11:31 PM

What does the fox say?

(Sorry, I had to.)

We had 2 jobs to harass them. One was digging up under a shed, the other was barking at the homeowner and living in her garage.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Foxes moving into suburbia - 10/21/16 02:42 AM

With the influx of coyotes in many regions, fox have 2 choices. Move to where coyotes are not comfortable, or die.
Since hunting and trapping are not allowed in cities, the fox has a safe haven.
I tell folks concerned about seeing fox in the city, that it is a good sign that they don't have any coyotes...
yet.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Foxes moving into suburbia - 10/22/16 07:58 PM

This is going on all over, With both Red & Grey Fox, Fox are fine until time comes to feed their young & pets start to not come home. Seems easy pickens than to catch wild prey. Have been taking them from under decks, sheds & even old cars
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Foxes moving into suburbia - 10/23/16 07:42 PM

We have had several fox dens in town and coyote dens close behind kids swing sets near the tree line of a woods behind up scale homes. Both seem to be very adaptable and will do what is necessary to rear their pups.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums