Home

Is it possible to repel cats?

Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 04:18 PM

Got a spot in my mulch at the house right in the front yard where a cat keeps scratching up a mound and pissing. Really starting to irk me. Pretty sure its the neighbors cat, and caging it in the front yard likely wouldn't go over well. Any suggestions?

I did go to the neighbors house and in their mulch/bushes, spray a goodly amount of coyote pee to try and get it to start marking over that instead of my yard. To no avail so far.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 04:46 PM

I think that 'Yote P is as good a repellent as you will be able to find. Try spritzing it on the spot he's using.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 05:52 PM

Forty grains of lead applied intercranially works for me.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 06:31 PM

Put a piece on sponge or other porous material in a small plastic bowl. Saturate the material with Clorox bleach; place bowl in the area being used by cat. Many cats and dogs will avoid areas smelling of Clorox. Of course, the cat may just move its toilet a few feet away.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 07:19 PM

Get a terrier.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 08:40 PM

Cage it in the back yard?

I don't know of any cat deterrents but I bet pepper spray would work for a little while. Generously spray the area it is using.

I've never seen urine of any kind work.
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 09:51 PM

Burried electric shock wire at the spot.

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 10:43 PM

You could try something like one of these. You can use it to keep unwanted visitors away too. whistle

Havahart® Spray Away® - Motion Activated Sprinkler Repellent- http://www.havahart.com/spray-away-infra...CFZKCaQoduk0ANg

ScareCrow Sprinkler Motion Activated Animal Deterrent- http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/scarec...CFZOKaQodX-4HmQ

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/19/16 10:57 PM

Suppose I could cage it in the back yard. Would rather set on sign lol. Thanks. I guess I could try the bleach for now. Moth balls definitely aren't doing it.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 12:02 AM

You know i sit here laughing as i type this cause many of the ideas that were wrote above are also the same hair brained ideas my customers get from people to take care of their wildlife problems. Because of all these hair brained ideas i am employed full time with an employee hahahahahaha
Posted By: WPS

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Forty grains of lead applied intercranially works for me.

LOL...my thoughts exactly

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: TRapper
You know i sit here laughing as i type this cause many of the ideas that were wrote above are also the same hair brained ideas my customers get from people to take care of their wildlife problems. Because of all these hair brained ideas i am employed full time with an employee hahahahahaha

How about you giving some useful advice rather than just making derogatory comments! At least explain why the "hair brained ideas" are "hair brained".

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 12:55 AM

Yeah. I'm all ears too.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 02:16 AM

think about it...would you really give the same advice to your clients? This is the adc forum...

I just laugh when i hear or read about people putting urine down to scare animals. Why because as a former coyote trapper i caught everything from rabbits and squirrels to even cats when using canine urine as an attractant. Why would an animal fear coyote urine if it prob doesnt know what a coyote is...and even if it does...does it know its urine smell?

Or mothballs...i have been in this business 13 years and i have yet to see moth balls repel anything except me...i hate the smell but i have seen skunks that had mothballs in their nesting inside crawlspaces.

What i laugh most about is some person tried it one time and only by pure co-incidence did the animal leave and now it is the big solution that fails every time.

Here is my advice...talk to the neighbor...tell them that their cat has been observed in your lawn and pooping in a place you dont want. If they will not keep their cat in that you will capture the cat in a live trap and be taken to the nearest animal shelter. Talk to neighbors first then if that dont work then protect your property

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 03:12 AM

I agree with you about the urine and moth balls. However some of the other comments had validity. Why not offer positive critiques instead of derogative comments. Since you have been in this business a whole 13 years, you should have quite a bit of experience from which to draw some useful advice.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 05:12 PM

The St. Louis Zoo sells Lion Crap as an animal deterrent, makes a bunch of $ and by all accounts works great!

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/20/16 05:51 PM

To be clear, I applied urine on their property to attract the cat away from my mulch. I did not apply coyote urine on my spot to scare it away.

Guess I'll work it out in my own way.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/22/16 12:45 PM

Curt
I would just kindly ask the neighbor, like I had to do at Moms house in town, to keep their cat home...reminding them about our leash law.
Once they DID NOT keep it home, I called Animal Control.
Animal Control should take care of it, but there may be a wait, since they "only have so many cages for so may calls".........putting your taxes to work for you for once.
Its not often we get that.

My neighbors claimed it wasn't theirs. I said I thought it was since they feed it on their deck.....

AC came, set the cage, took cat away.

For all you know, your neighbors may not claim your problem cat either...until you "kindly" inquire.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 09/23/16 03:24 AM

I made one of my neighbors cats disappear because it was tearing up my flower bed. Was outside one night and it came up to me and started rubbing on my leg. I went inside and got a can of cat food I had for baiting traps and took a trap out. Went by the cat, opened the food, tossed it into the trap, cat went right in, I tripped the door. Cat was delivered to animal control as a stray the next morning. Neighbor knows it was me, but has no proof. I just keep saying, if it was me, they would all be gone by now.
We do have a leash law around here too.
Posted By: Coilspring ll

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 10/11/16 07:22 PM

red pepper... sprinkle it all over the areas its peeing

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 10/12/16 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: LAtrapper
Put a piece on sponge or other porous material in a small plastic bowl. Saturate the material with Clorox bleach; place bowl in the area being used by cat. Many cats and dogs will avoid areas smelling of Clorox. Of course, the cat may just move its toilet a few feet away.

I tried this. It is working very well so far. No more pee scratch-ups.

Appreciate some of you guys' inputs.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Is it possible to repel cats? - 10/12/16 02:29 PM

Ammonia works well to cf
© 2024 Trapperman Forums