Home

Wet sheet rock

Posted By: Miley

Wet sheet rock - 08/03/16 11:42 PM

Nephew had a house inspection done by a potential buyer. While inspecting the attic he found a small spot of wetness on the sheet rock. One spot no feces in the entire attic. Inspector said that there is a critter living up there. My nephew inspected the house from the outside and sees no openings where critters could get in. Pretty new roof so hopefully no leaks. What do you think? Thanks
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Wet sheet rock - 08/04/16 09:40 AM

Any pipes above the wet spot? Low spot where condensation drips? How big an entrance was your nephew looking for? Flying squirrels need a hole the size of a quarter. And they will push siding aside to squeeze through.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Wet sheet rock - 08/04/16 10:18 AM

I would have to wonder how you find a wet spot on the sheet rock from the attic side when there should be insulation over it

Did the inspector move insulation on every part of the attic to view the sheet rock
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Wet sheet rock - 08/04/16 08:12 PM

Did you see the wet spot? Might be trying to knock down the price.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Wet sheet rock - 08/04/16 11:32 PM

Was it a "wet" wet spot, or a "dry" wet spot? If dry, it could've been there for years.
Can he see the wet spot from the ceiling side, or might it have beem painted over?
NO feces anywhere in attic tells me it's condensation or a leak. Possibly a stain from a long ago fixed problem.
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Wet sheet rock - 08/05/16 12:36 AM

I worked in insurance repair for around 15 years. Not as a trapper. Animal damage repair as well as drunk neighbors running into your house repair as well as smoking in bed and falling asleep repair. If animals were ever involved, I can't recall a time when it was limited to a small wet spot. A new roof isn't always a sound roof.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Wet sheet rock - 08/05/16 04:01 PM

I'd put my nose to it and give it the smell test. If it was a coon or squirrel it should be easy to tell. Sounds more like a leak of some sort.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Wet sheet rock - 08/05/16 06:37 PM

Thanks to all! I have not been in the attic. I agree that the attic insulation should be everywhere and without removing it how could you tell. I will link this thread to him.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums