Home

Noises Up The Chimney ....?

Posted By: Pest's Dad

Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 01:13 AM

What do you guys think, please? This was uploaded from, SC.

We've considered Raccoons, Starlings and Chimney Swifts. Can anyone clinch it, please?

Thankyou.
Posted By: Vincenator

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 01:35 AM

Chimney swifts.After the young have fledged install chimney cap

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 02:15 AM

Ahaah! I only had This example of Chimney Swifts to go on ~ presented by the OP. I know nothing of raccoons. I Do know starlings, and discounted them. Then, the OP suggested this ~ but, I found the cadences out with the first recording:

So, the swifts can vary that much then? And there's nothing else liable to make a noise like that?

Do I take this to the bank? grin

Excellent! Thankyou!

(I knew I knew where to come with this! )
Posted By: MEISTERMAN

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 02:37 AM

Only one way to find out start it up and see what comes out.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 02:38 AM

Swifts at feeding time as the adults return they get excited.

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: MEISTERMAN
Only one way to find out start it up and see what comes out.

Dunno. I once had something come down a chimney. I was on my hands and knees, peering up the chimney, praying nothing would leap down and do a face hugger on me. Things were getting tense.

Then, the darn thing came loping at me, from the corner of the room! Things got hot and fluid!

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 04:00 AM

Thank you too, Bob. This side of the water, we don't get Chimney Swifts (Chaetura pelagica). At least not nesting in our chimneys! The odd one, Anywhere, is apt to cause a bit a stir, truth be told.

No. We get the plain Swift (Apus apus). Very similar bird. But, different. It's never, yet, been my privilege to approach an active nest. Thus I couldn't even begin to discern between 'Your' and 'Our' young swifts calls.

All in all? Most fascinating and educational result to my initial question

Thanks again.
Posted By: bob pake

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 07/26/16 01:29 PM

In my area swifts are having a tough time of it . Loss of habitat . The old buildings / factories etc have been demolished . The chimneys that swifts seem to prefer are usually very large. ( larger than most coons would like ) Live and let live is a great option.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Noises Up The Chimney ....? - 08/03/16 10:30 PM

Ah - that's why they didn't sound just like our Chimney swifts. Still, if you have native chimney-nesting swifts, that would be my guess.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums