who's got voles? - 06/12/16 10:57 PM

I do!

caught three so far today.

how many should I expect?

what is YOUR preferred control method?

Thanks!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: who's got voles? - 06/13/16 03:16 AM

Trapping then baiting as follow up as maintenance is what we do.

Confirm that they are voles and not shrews. Some make this mistake. Not that you are but without more facts it is an honest request.

Voles like certain areas of lawns, creek and pond banks and mulch areas of landscapes.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: who's got voles? - 06/13/16 09:53 AM

thanks, Bob.

I'll have to check on the difference between the two...I assumed they are voles.

The location is along a chain link fence line and adjacent to my old, wooden garage.

Re: who's got voles? - 06/13/16 12:38 PM

Voles look like a small hamster with a short tail. Sort of a stubby face and the adults have full chunky bodies, usually brownish in color.

A shrew kind of looks like a small mole but doesn't have the large front paddle feet with long nails. Shrews have the pointed snout and are black/dark grey in color and not very large. Its teeth have very dark tips to them.

Re: who's got voles? - 06/13/16 09:28 PM

thanks, Bob.

Got two more while I was at work today.

From your description, I'm sure they are voles.

right now, I just have four mouse traps blind set in their channels.

anything I can do to improve my "sets"?

Thanks!

Re: who's got voles? - 06/13/16 09:40 PM

Set the trails in the grass as you are doing and look to where the trails converge or where they go to a burrow hole or under a concrete slab etc.

Then you can set the holes as well. There are some good photo references for trapping them in our archives that will speak volumes to help you with the best set ups.

Sounds like you are doing a good job already. Put those voles in a freezer bag and put in your freezer for me.:)

Re: who's got voles? - 06/13/16 11:36 PM

Thanks, Bob!

(I was wondering if they held any value after they ceased breathing).

I did a bit of reading, and it seems they are quite prolific. I wonder how many there are, and how long I need to keep after them.

Re: who's got voles? - 06/13/16 11:57 PM

Depending upon the habitat that borders your place will help to determine the re establishing of the vacant networks. That is nature at work.

Not unlike mole activity. They will continue to bleed into vacant runs once they are found. Then it is back to business as usual. Some things just need maintenance. That is just the nature of things.

Re: who's got voles? - 06/14/16 12:15 AM

10-4.

It's right here at home, so no problem to maintain.

Thanks again, Bob!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums