Home

bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ?

Posted By: TRapper

bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/19/16 04:34 PM

Hey guys...ran into a problem yesterday...bird nest in bathroom vent and babies mobile so they went to go out the vent and actually fell down a vertical vent pipe from basement bathroom that was at the edge of the wall...2 vent pipes hooked into one...the vertical pipe is about 10' long connected to the plastic flex vent to bathroom and birds are at bottom of pipe to where flex pipe starts.

I tried using wire, opened up vent in downstairs to try and reach and without ripping out the ceiling in the basement i cant find a solution to reach the birds...i put a bird guard on outside vent to prevent any others but had to leave babies to cry til they die and dry up...instructed home owner to leave fan on to air out the dead birds til they dry up

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/19/16 05:17 PM

Are you able to get a rod down the pipe that would reach them? If so, you may want to try small strips of glue board (be careful not to get it stuck to the pipe) or one of the fishing lure retrieval lures (I think WCS has one that works off a rope you may be able to modify).
Posted By: trapdye

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/19/16 05:59 PM

Any chance compressed air would work, blown from the lowest opening.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/19/16 06:05 PM

Shop vac. Suck'em out.

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/19/16 06:24 PM

I wondered that brian...put a 12 foot extension tube to put down to the bottom
Posted By: opie28

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/19/16 08:34 PM

I bought a linteater drier vent cleaner at menards it has a brush and flexable
rods may be able to push them out the bottom with it.
Posted By: JustDon

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/19/16 09:17 PM

I was about to say the same as Brian about the shop vac. When you say "vent" are you talking about a bathroom drain vent or the fan exhaust venting to the outside. I believe you're talking about the DWV vent stack. Which...will....lead....to...a....drain.

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/20/16 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: JustDon
I was about to say the same as Brian about the shop vac. When you say "vent" are you talking about a bathroom drain vent or the fan exhaust venting to the outside. I believe you're talking about the DWV vent stack. Which...will....lead....to...a....drain.

Fan exhaust vent...been doin several of em lately...this is first time i have seen a horizontal and a vertical on the same vent to the outside
Posted By: MChewk

Re: bird extraction from long vertical pipe vent ? - 05/20/16 06:58 PM

Shop vac has worked for me before. Watch yourself Josh as I've had those birds come flying out in my face when I was 20 ft up on a ladder.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums