Home

Vole control methods

Posted By: _fletch_

Vole control methods - 04/27/16 01:21 AM

I have been doing wildlife damage control for less than a year, so I definitely have a lot yet to see and learn. But I have never seen vole damage to this extent before now. This is a nine acre piece of property, in a well to do area. The other adjoining property owners are fighting them too, so this could lead to a lot of additional work. I have limited experience with voles. My first instinct would be poisoning, but I do not possess an applicator's license. A pest control company who refers me often, sent this one my way. They don't do wildlife, but they will do rodents, so the only reason I can figure they passed on this one is because it looks like a good one to run away from, lol. Thanks for any advice.

Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: Vole control methods - 04/27/16 01:14 PM

Generally, when a PCO company passes on anything with rodents it's because they don't feel they can make money with the job. Due to label restrictions, pesticide use for voles can be very limited and they don't want to have guys walking nine acres setting snap traps. They don't want to commit the time nor the price tag (they know it will be high and don't want to be on the hook for it) for services of this nature.

From the images, it looks like a combination mole/vole job with some possible water damage to the tunnel systems. I'd set the tunnels themselves with No Moles and/or Molinators and then I'd set the exit/entrance points with snap mouse traps covered by pieces of gutters, flower pots or boxes.

For this size property and the area I'd set the expectation that voles and moles will be moving in from the neighbor's properties and ask for "help" from the client to get the adjacent properties into a program as well. This is a good area to be offering a 3, 6 or 12 month control program with weekly or bi-weekly trips (while damage is present) and then moving to bi-weekly or monthly monitoring trips once you've gotten control.
Posted By: _fletch_

Re: Vole control methods - 04/27/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: WCT
Generally, when a PCO company passes on anything with rodents it's because they don't feel they can make money with the job. Due to label restrictions, pesticide use for voles can be very limited and they don't want to have guys walking nine acres setting snap traps. They don't want to commit the time nor the price tag (they know it will be high and don't want to be on the hook for it) for services of this nature.

From the images, it looks like a combination mole/vole job with some possible water damage to the tunnel systems. I'd set the tunnels themselves with No Moles and/or Molinators and then I'd set the exit/entrance points with snap mouse traps covered by pieces of gutters, flower pots or boxes.

For this size property and the area I'd set the expectation that voles and moles will be moving in from the neighbor's properties and ask for "help" from the client to get the adjacent properties into a program as well. This is a good area to be offering a 3, 6 or 12 month control program with weekly or bi-weekly trips (while damage is present) and then moving to bi-weekly or monthly monitoring trips once you've gotten control.
Thanks Eric... I sent you a PM.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums