Home

Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas

Posted By: GW02

Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas - 04/27/16 12:35 AM

Job #1: 1 acre urban pond, no active runs, just an entirely hollowed out peninsula bank with a weeping willow on it. Been there for years as have all the holes. Few if any visually distinct runs so I put some traps in "runs" I could feel with my feet. Fenced off one side to drive them into traps. Have seen fish, turtles and frogs, so expect to find them in the traps instead of rats. Connects by culvert under entrance drive to another pond, also with no distinct holes/runs.

Job #2: urban pond that I trap 1-2x a year, set traps three weeks ago in all runs although none looked used, also put some in culverts, caught nothing. Rat's back taunting the neighbors so I set out a floating trap (which never works) and a few others in another hollowed out bank where a willow used to be.

Job #3: urban pond, 3-4ft of rip rap falling out into deep water. Not possible to walk due to drop off. Set traps in drains and a floating trap where the rat was last seen.

Like I said, I've never had luck with floating traps, no matter the design, bait or lure. Stabilized or floating, makes no difference.

Fully hollowed out banks and rip rap shores w/no visible runs in either. What a terrible week. I'm expecting to walk away empty-handed because I know I won't catch anything without proper trap placement.

Any ideas on salvaging these jobs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas - 04/27/16 01:18 AM

Anything you can shove into the holes that they will have to push out showing they use the hole? Maybe a handful of the branches that willow trees drop every winter?
Posted By: GW02

Re: Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas - 04/27/16 02:25 AM

Good idea for Job #2. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas - 05/19/16 02:31 AM

Stools.
Parsnips stay white longer than radishes and potatoes, and I wire carrots under the parsnip on the nail and smear some minty toothpaste on top.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums