Home

False prgancy in raccoons

Posted By: Mike Barcaskey

False prgancy in raccoons - 04/25/16 09:48 PM

My lab went through false pregnancy after the first time she came in heat.
Anyone have experience with this in raccoons?
Caught a female which was not pregnant, not engorged but had a small amount of milk discharge when I squeezed her nipples. She had been playing house in the walls of the customer's home, but I cannot find any pups.
I am sure I am looking between the correct wall studs.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: False prgancy in raccoons - 04/25/16 11:11 PM

I've never seen it, but that means little. I take it you used a kill trap or did you just sweet talk her first?
Posted By: trapdye

Re: False prgancy in raccoons - 04/25/16 11:40 PM

I do believe that took some sweet talking.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: False prgancy in raccoons - 04/26/16 01:03 AM

There's laws against "touching" animals. Sorry couldn't resist that

Did you open her up to check, sometimes that's what you gotta do, not sure if we can put that on here

If we can't im sure this will get taken down. Had to do it for a beaver last June to see if I had to go to the lodge
Posted By: Mike Barcaskey

Re: False prgancy in raccoons - 04/26/16 01:34 AM

In PA we are not allowed to release raccoons. I did open her up. She was a one year old.
And I only sweet talk my wife!
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: False prgancy in raccoons - 04/26/16 05:54 PM

Placental scars even in absence of fetuses can clarify if recently pregnant. Could have aborted, might had an early litter and it didn't make it, could have been drying up leaving some lactation without current signs of pregnancy. What about fur signs around the nipple? Years back we radio collared a sleuth of raccoon and that was usually a good sign of pups.

I'm sure any mammal can have a false pregnancy as humans can as well, in terms of the body thinking it is pregnant and displaying signs. Hormones can have all kinds of imbalances and display in this type of way.

Though I'd favor aborted or lost a litter. Since young females with their first litter aren't always good at "mothering up" and may have a smaller litter that doesn't survive.

Lots of possibilities.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums