Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: chipmonks - 03/30/16 04:41 PM

With traps. ;o)
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: chipmonks - 03/30/16 04:57 PM

Very carefully!

Re: chipmonks - 03/30/16 04:58 PM

Rat snap traps and small cages work fine. No-mole traps work too from what I've heard. I box my snap traps to keep nontargets away, which is not fool proof, but helps a lot.

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: chipmonks - 03/30/16 05:40 PM

I like rat snaps. I have caught them with the mouse snaps and with no mols. I have also lost a bunch with mouse snaps and no mols. They like weasel boxes. I've started using weighted bait stations with the weight and mouse bait hardware removed.

We just got some lobsterctrap shaped trap for chippies in. I haven't tried it yet though.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: chipmonks - 03/30/16 05:58 PM

I like comstock swing panel doors 3" wide or the 5" wide
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: chipmonks - 03/31/16 12:22 AM

My go-to trap for chippers is the Simple Squirrel Trap from WCS in 3x4 size. Fit into very small areas. Also great for rats.

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSJC.html
Posted By: strike2x

Re: chipmonks - 03/31/16 12:31 AM

I use Victor rat traps in my weasel boxes same as I would for weasels but p-nut bigger bait.
Posted By: SifordOutdoorZ

Re: chipmonks - 04/06/16 02:27 AM

Bob do you stake down your chipmunk boxes somehow I really like this idea!! And do you have a way of making it so the rat trap doesn't move in the container maybe duct tape on the bottom or something
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: chipmonks - 04/06/16 12:12 PM

The 3 inch or 5 inch traps traps referred to above by TRapper are panless, double door traps. Double door cage traps are the mainstay of all of our ADC work for chucks, skunks, 'coon, beaver, otter, muskrats, squirrels, chipmunks etc., providing the most options in setting since they can be set in either single or double door mode, your choice, used in positive sets or with bait. Very easy and effective to set and place double door traps along walls in travel ways for chipmunks with or without bait. We also use nose cones over den holes like you would skunks or chucks with the 5 inch too. Sometimes a few black sunflower seeds makes it go faster yet.

Re: chipmonks - 04/06/16 04:34 PM

Siford, if you're asking me (not Bob), I did put duct tape under the trap to hold in place. I don't stake the boxes, they seem heavy enough to stay in place. A small rock on top would work. I did catch a couple non targets beside monks, mice and voles. One big garter snake, a toad and a small chicken. The chicken had to be dispatched by the homeowner, it had a traumatic brain injury.

The boxes can be found at wallyworld for a buck w/cover. Maybe more now, it's been a few years since I bought them. I cut 1.5" square holes in the end.
Posted By: SifordOutdoorZ

Re: chipmonks - 04/07/16 07:28 PM

Brian,
I was asking you sorry mixed the names up. I built five of them on Tuesday and set three yesterday. Still 94cents at Wally World. It's a perfect idea for the monks. The home I am using them at was originally a vole call and she asked if I could do chipmunks also I said sure. Pretty fool proof set up didn't catch anything today but weather is kind of crappy right now. Used the peanut butter/ bacon grease/ black sunflower seed mixture see how it turns out. For my holes i used a hole saw bit worked perfect ! Thanks for the pictures and input!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums