Home

Skunks

Posted By: Getting There

Skunks - 01/09/16 11:13 PM

Will there be more than one skunk in a hole/den when holed up for the winter or warmer weather?
Posted By: sgs

Re: Skunks - 01/10/16 12:38 AM

Winter dens are usually communal. Summer dens are usually individual with the females having a litter.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Skunks - 01/15/16 03:34 PM

When do skunks go to moving,I keep reading that feb is when skunks go to mating.
I have cought 1 skunk sence dec,
Posted By: woodsman324

Re: Skunks - 01/15/16 06:47 PM

I caught 8 under a small shed one late fall.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: Skunks - 01/19/16 02:05 PM

Males will start hitting dens in Maine in feb. March or as soon as snow conditions allow
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Skunks - 01/19/16 11:34 PM

Started in my area of CT this week. Caught four males so far (3 going in, 1 coming out), waiting on female to come out. Had another call today. Hope it's an indicator for Feb and March.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Skunks - 01/20/16 04:06 PM

Im in texas,and I have cought 4 sence dec,im starting to think theres not any skunks.
I keep reading Feb is the mating season..but could the skunk have died out
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Skunks - 01/20/16 05:43 PM

I think the breeding season for skunks depends on what part of the country you live in. JMO
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Skunks - 02/12/16 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: sgs
Winter dens are usually communal. Summer dens are usually individual with the females having a litter.

What's an average number for a den?
Posted By: carlswildlife

Re: Skunks - 02/12/16 08:51 AM

I trap up near Chicago and this past week the phone has been ringing off the hook with people telling me about how bad there homes smell of skunks. Currently trapping eight homes for skunks. In the spring my best from one den has been 19 skunks, a good average for my area is 7-8 skunks I can plan on catching from one den entrance. A female skunk in a trap this time of year will bring in a lot of male skunks.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Skunks - 02/12/16 10:11 AM

Quote:
What's an average number for a den?

I don't really know what the average would be but my biggest catch at a den is 13.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: Skunks - 02/14/16 03:44 PM

All depends on location, local population and I believe that the age of the den has more to do with it than anything else. Big old dens just get put on the route of more skunks. I caught 11 at one den before finally switching to just positive sets to prevent catches from skunks visiting from the outside.
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: Skunks - 02/14/16 04:35 PM

My heaviest winter den haul is 13 also...and 13 for a female...she had 12 little stinkers..I pulled them out from under a stairway by their tails....LOL..only drippage I got , was from the last one..
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Skunks - 02/14/16 05:19 PM

Question on these communal winter dens....are the skunks keep one den....or do they move around between more than one den, and run a route from one to another? How long would a trap on a den entrance have to go disturbed for you to be satisfied that you got them all?

If you put an exclusion on the den entrance, so they can leave but not come back....how do you fasten it to a brick foundation? Do they usually only have one entrance to the den?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums