Home

Exact opposite.... but the same?

Posted By: Ron Scheller

Exact opposite.... but the same? - 12/31/15 03:27 AM

Every winter I get out and do some fur trapping, regardless of wild fur prices. It's what got me into wildlife control, and is still a part of our family heritage. As Josh posted a couple weeks back, it isn't about money at all, even though some years pay off well.

Here's some pics of a few recent trapline outings, sometimes with my nephew Owen and even his little sister and brother. Can't put a price on the experiences we gain from this activity. It does seem odd..... I work long hours 6 and 7 days a week dealing with animals all year long, then for "relaxation".... I go out and catch MORE animals. But it's not the same. No pressure here, just spending some quality time in the swamps.

Packed these two beavers up a huge hill yesterday, and caught a third one at the top of the pond dam on a crossover. Had four traps set, caught three beavers. Dad wanted some "meat" for our annual New Years party, which definitely features wild game!

My nephew Owen retrieving a 35-pounder from a dam crossover set.

Three beavers from 4 traps. Quite the catch ratio!

55 pounder caught yesterday. Set traps during extremely high water conditions. Bottom land was flooded, as we had 9 inches of rain in 3 days (see TV news stories). Knowing where to place traps when the whole area is knee-deep (normally dry) is one of the great challenges that makes trapping addictive.

Nice buck mink taken in a 110 in a muskrat runway.

Picked up some muskrats and a mink at this small farm pond about a week ago. The landowner had repaired the dam (using his track-hoe) after the muskrats had caused a cave-in.

Owen getting a rat from a log set. #1 longspring (one of my favorite muskrat traps) was set on the log where they were climbing out to use the "toilet station". Long wire around log, rat jumps in when caught, end of story.

I can't carry these monsters as far as I used to, so usually use a jon boat for all lake trapping. I can row forever!

Youngest nephew Luke pulling a muskrat from a bank den set.

My niece Sydnie, also getting in on the action, pulling a muskrat from the water. 110 in a runway. Photo bombing by Owen and Luke!

Owen caught his FIRST mink today. We only had a few traps set out, but he hooked up with this male in a 160 set in a well-defined trail through some grass and weeds along a small stream.

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 12/31/15 04:33 AM

I certainly applaud you for getting those young people to go trapping. Since the greatest majority of trapping licenses are sold to

us old guys, I'm really big on getting kids interested. I caught a nice bunch of really good sized muskrats and tossed 'em at

predator crossings. I was well paid when I caught them and I really have a problem with skinning and selling when prices are this

low. The only way to get prices back up is to cause a shortage. ( Something usually caused by weather ) The older grandkids work for

us whenever school doesn't conflict so they know their way around animals. Those pictures were really special and your niece and

nephews will remember the experience forever. ( And be sure to wish your dad a Happy New Years from me )
Posted By: carlswildlife

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 12/31/15 08:58 AM

Congratulations to you all. Looks like all had a great time. Keep them in the field and they won't be causing problems around town. Hope the wild game dinner turns out well.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 12/31/15 03:38 PM

Outstanding!!! Building memory's for sure!
Posted By: badger

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 12/31/15 03:46 PM

nice
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 12/31/15 11:37 PM

Nothing warms you up like seeing the tail and hips of a buck mink floating at a muskrat set! Great pic!
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/01/16 02:57 AM

Very nice ron...even though we have 6-7" of snow on ground when i get back from upstate new york (which is where i am now)
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/02/16 02:44 AM

Middle beaver in 3rd photo--what's with the tail?
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/03/16 03:06 AM

I get it completly No pay fur animals so have fun with the fur and youngsters My son and I are have a ball with canines
And a few rats, coons and opossum
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/03/16 03:11 AM

[

Middle beaver in 3rd photo--what's with the tail? [/quote]

If you enlarge picture. It just looks like that tail is pointed at camera so it looks odd
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/03/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
[ Middle beaver in 3rd photo--what's with the tail?

If you enlarge picture. It just looks like that tail is pointed at camera so it looks odd [/quote]

Yep.... tail is normal, just pointing towards the camera, sort of curled.

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/04/16 08:05 PM

Did any of you guys see that hilarious film of the mink invading the ice fishing shanty? It's a nice buck mink and he is afraid of no

one. He is all over the place and even fell in the hole in the ice. He was grabbing walleyes and trying to take off with them and the

guy that was fishing was fighting him for the fish. It's a really clear film and I'm sure those of you on Facebook has seen it.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/05/16 07:17 AM

Havin fun on this contract job...got 24 conis set on fresh bunny trails...got these 2 before i left
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/05/16 04:03 PM

Great job on getting the youth motivated on
This wonderful sport/living we have!!!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/05/16 05:48 PM

Looks like dinner to me.:) For all those that ask how to catch rabbits here you go.

That is one big beaver Ron.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/05/16 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Did any of you guys see that hilarious film of the mink invading the ice fishing shanty? It's a nice buck mink and he is afraid of no

one. He is all over the place and even fell in the hole in the ice. He was grabbing walleyes and trying to take off with them and the

guy that was fishing was fighting him for the fish. It's a really clear film and I'm sure those of you on Facebook has seen it.

Can you post a link?

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/06/16 04:07 AM

Big Bob, I'll ask my son where he got it and let you know.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Exact opposite.... but the same? - 01/06/16 10:27 PM

Thanks Paul, Somebody else posted it here and I saw it already, what a hoot!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums