Home

Advantages of ADC

Posted By: ShonIngram

Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 01:02 PM

What are the advantages of becoming an ADC vs just being a trapper? I am looking into getting my state permit here in TN.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 01:51 PM

a job/career with more of a set pricing structure then the fur market

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 02:02 PM

I agree, but does it allow you to trap furbearers outside of the trapping season?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 02:09 PM

Depends upon whether you are looking to begin a business charging a fee for your services or whether you are just wanting to do some ADC work in the fur season. Most states are getting on board now with certification needed to do ADC work providing you with licensing for your work during any time of the year. If you are wanting to remain a seasonal trapper doing ADC work during the fur season then that is your option.

Depending upon your states regulations that will mandate your ability to trap furbearers without an ADC license out of the normal fur harvesting season.

Much of ADC work does not involve furbearers so not sure what your attempting to establish in your question. ADC work will require a contractual agreement for services rendered between two parties. Unless you are doing a favor for someone or trading services for permission to access ground. Then at such time it would be a verbal agreement.
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 02:12 PM

And not all states let you keep pelts or any other part of an animal , unless it's during the regulated trapping season

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 02:13 PM

I am in TN and they just want you to have a permit and liability insurance.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 02:17 PM

I think all states should require liability insurance as a mandatory requirement to carry an ADC license.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 02:49 PM

I agree.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 03:41 PM

Bob, if you are hired to do ADC work and you drop a cage with a raccoon in it, on top of the customers Porsche, you are liable

for the damage with or without insurance, are you not? Liability insurance is to protect you as well as the customer in my book.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Liability insurance is to protect you as well as the customer in my book.

Mine too.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 09:32 PM

It's just so different it's hard to compare. If you want to do it just for trapping sake just be a trapper. ADC is a different form all together and a lot of your job is to find ways to prevent the need for trapping.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 10:18 PM

You cant legally charge to trap someones beaver unless you are licensed as adc...if ubjust have a fur trappers license...your pmt is the fur value not paid from the owner of the property

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 10:32 PM

Joshua, I assume you're talking about the laws of Iowa? We have no such thing as an ADC license; just fur trapping. I'm guessing that

I would also need a hunting license to discharge a weapon but maybe my concealed carry permit would be good?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/02/15 11:46 PM

Lets see.Bug infested beaver swamp in the middle of summer,or a nice snowy evergreen landscape by the river with beautiful prime pelts,hanging by the cabin,ready for the auction.
I don't see an advantage.
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 12:20 AM

Second the sentiments on bug infested Summertime beaver jobs. Thankfully, there is a lot more to ADC work than that.(Otherwise I wouldn't make it)
Posted By: Boco

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 01:08 AM

Oh yea I forgot the coon feces infested 150 degree attics.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 02:41 AM

Alright, you guys have convinced me. Not getting a single beaver call this year was a good thing. You guys take the wrong jobs.

Nobody mentioned the squirrel job at the air-conditioned strip club or the bat at the wedding with the free food and drinks.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 04:15 AM

Don't forget the 3AM calls that go nowhere and the cussing you get for daring to charge for your services.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 05:09 AM

Let's not forget the ones who give you a nice tip ( One of our guys got a brand new outdoor grill ) and those that recommend you to

everyone because you were professional and friendly even in the middle of the night.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 05:50 PM

A little old lady this year gave me her husbands commercial meat grinder, meat saw, and a 22 revolver on top of the $1000 in squirrel removal. The grinder and saw in there condition were probably worth $5000.

But seriously unless you just want to trap coyotes for farmers they're not the same. I spend zero time in the woods doing ADC, I spend a LOT OF time driving, answering the phone, talking to customers, looking at houses, and a little time trapping.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 06:50 PM

I like nuisance beaver. Cash, and I trap mostly islands and cottage docks. Got maybe twenty this summer, at 150 a pop.

My area is a bit different I imagine though.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 09:57 PM

Iv been thinking of getting into ADC work.but dont know all the regulations are how much to charge
Thought about doing it for free for the experience. What I catch I can sell

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 10:25 PM

mugs, with the price of furs in the toilet I imagine you'll be one of those guys on the corner with a "Will Work For Food" sign.

There is enough info on here that you should be able to start charging from the beginning.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/03/15 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: mugs
Iv been thinking of getting into ADC work.but dont know all the regulations are how much to charge
Thought about doing it for free for the experience. What I catch I can sell

You know mugs, I did that. I was doing this for four years before I even knew that people charged for it.

It was a great, no pressure learning experience and I made some very good contacts.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 02:07 AM

mugs, what Steve didn't tell you is that he already had a good job outside of ADC and I think he still does. Hey, I started the same

way except I started getting more business than the company I worked for and had to go full time in ADC work. That first year was the

most money I had ever earned in a year and we have made more as a company every year since. You just naturally work harder and

smarter when you work for yourself.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 02:40 AM

Then you got into pest control, and it really took off....I'd guess.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 11:52 AM

Ok so what would I charge to remove say a skunk are coon

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 12:01 PM

Quote:
mugs, what Steve didn't tell you is that he already had a good job outside of ADC and I think he still does.

The first part is true but I gave up the job a couple of years ago.

Mugs, prices are regionally and locally determined. The best thing to do is talk to the guys in your trapping association and find out what the going prices are in your area.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 12:49 PM

Ok so what would I charge to remove say skunks,coons,squirrels pigeons, and bats

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 04:00 PM

Theirs no one around my area that does ADC work.only people is the dog pound.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 04:18 PM

I have no idea if you're dealing with the rich Texans or the poor ones so you can pick the correct amount based on customer's income.

Skunks $40-$75 or more. Raccoons $35-$65 Squirrels $30-$60 Pigeons $5-$25 Bats $350-the sky's the limit. As you get more experience

you may want to move these prices up or down. The big money isn't in the animals anyway. It's in the closing, cleanups, prevention,

etc. If you're not handy with a hammer, hire someone who is.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/04/15 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: mugs
Ok so what would I charge to remove say skunks,coons,squirrels pigeons, and bats

Below are a couple of similar threads-

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...???#Post5091881 Check especially post made by WCT.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...ng?#Post5083514

Conduct a 3-year SEARCH for pricing on the ADC forum for many more replies.

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/05/15 12:21 PM

I talk to a guy were I live and gees all the permits and license id have to have
Just to remove skunks from people yards, kind of feel like this guys blowing smoke
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/05/15 03:32 PM

A major advantage is that you get paid to trap even when the fur prices are in the dump
Posted By: DaveK

Re: Advantages of ADC - 12/05/15 08:26 PM

So what is it going to cost you to trap skunks, raccoons, bats....?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums