Home

Does this set actually work well for squirrels?

Posted By: Aix sponsa

Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 04:30 AM

Simple shelf off of a pecan tree...
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 05:09 AM

Prob not
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 05:40 AM

No. Snares. FAR better.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 12:34 PM

What kind of squirrels? Ill tell ya, a bet a hundred bucks you could catch all the reds you want with a piece of sponge dipped in peanut butter and put on the end of the trigger wires.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 03:38 PM

The question was asked in Louisiana and answered in Iowa, Alaska, and Canada. Since I'm in Wisconsin, I have no idea if your

squirrels like pecans. We use cheese soaked in beer. It doesn't catch a lot of squirrels but it does nail its share of competitors.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 03:52 PM

Paul, southern squirrels are southern. Of course they love pecans above all else.

Now that said, I doubt the effectiveness of that set. Not when there are free for the taking pecans and acorns around. I really wouldn't use a 110, and I'm use 100 almost exclusively, for squirrels unless it was some sort of positive set. If you must use one in a baited set I think it would be far more productive used in an enclosure like a tube or weasel/chipmunk box type set.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 03:56 PM

An ear of corn threaded on the wires would be more likely to work anyway. Squirrels can sniff out empty pecans from good ones.
Posted By: pick65

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 05:28 PM

aixsponsa:
If your going to bait the coni-bear, bait it with something that is not common to your area.
example you got pecans use walnuts or corn.
If you have BMI coni-bears use them, you want the bell shaped trigger.
The intent is to lower the bait as close to the end of the trigger as
possible = less trigger movement = DOA squirrel.

pick65
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Hutchy
piece of sponge dipped in peanut butter and put on the end of the trigger wires.

x2......I thread a 1" strip of sponge lengthwise onto a trigger wire, then smear peanut butter on sponge.

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 10:36 PM

Okay, I need another explanation. Isn't the end of the Conibear trigger where you get the most movement? I thought he had that shell

where he would get the least movement.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 11:12 PM

If you had the bait close to the dog it would be more likely to get a neck catch. The wires are a pendulum... see what I mean. So if the squirrel is working it up where the wires connect, not much inward pushing is needed.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/28/15 11:26 PM

I catch all the squirrels I want to skin with meat as bait.
Our squirrels are carnivorous mainly in winter.

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/29/15 12:12 AM

Thank you, Haggard. I should also mention that we switched to double spring Conibears and our catch rate has been up ever since.

Boco, That's why we always left Canada before it got too cold. Everything gets carnivorous in the winter. I guess

that also explains why I cage trap and relocate squirrels. I've never seen one that I wanted to skin.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/30/15 04:21 AM

Not sure if you are targeting squirrels as a commercial removal job, or simply trying to eliminate some from an area. Here in Illinois, we can't use any exposed body-grips for squirrels under the nuisance wildlife removal regs. However, I don't have a problem with that, as I have found the fastest way to catch a high number of squirrels from a structure is with small cage traps set near the primary entries (possibly combined with one-way doors or one-way multi-catch traps). However, I'll always trap a coupe days BEFORE installing any one-ways, as I've seen too many times the doors will cause them to chew out (around the doors) or chew in (again, around the doors). Catching the bulk of them before they get spooked or driven away temporarily due to the presence of the excluders helps insure you actually remove the "guilty" party from the site and minimizes your chance of having the problem show up a couple days after you "think" you are done.

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/30/15 05:03 AM

AMEN to that post, Ron.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/30/15 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco
I catch all the squirrels I want to skin with meat as bait.
Our squirrels are carnivorous mainly in winter.

When I started trapping gray squirrels I realized just how carnivorous they are. This month I've been doing a job trapping coyotes. I've had good success with a ground fish as bait and I've been a little surprised at how the red squirrels raid my sets. I've started putting the bait in trees just to keep the squirrels away from my coyote sets.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/30/15 03:34 PM

Yea, I have got ten so far in fisher sets...buggers.

An the further toward the end of the trigger wires, the more leverage, the easier it is to set off the trap. Adjust the trigger and dog, so it takes less movement, or play to set the trap off. You want it to move like a quarter inch. Try a rat trap with the yellow plastic pans. Dynamite here.

I may set a squirrel/weasel line just for the heck of it near my boxes...keep a few more set and working instead of plugged with squirrels.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Does this set actually work well for squirrels? - 11/30/15 06:12 PM

It was just a picture off of the internet. I was just curious. Squirrels love pecans by the way. That setup sure seemed simple
© 2024 Trapperman Forums