Home

Flyers chewing lead flashing

Posted By: RF Wildlife

Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/20/15 08:16 PM

Noticed the last few flying squirrel jobs that they are chewing on the lead flashing. No entry point, just the chewing.

Took this picture today. Anyone have any idea why they are doing this? I do not remember lead paint chips being tasty, but could just be because I have eaten to many:)
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/20/15 08:24 PM

Hey, if you're a flying squirrel with practically no means of defending yourself, putting more "lead in your pencil" is pretty much a requirement.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/20/15 09:31 PM

lead has a sweet taste, if I remember correctly it was the Romans used it as a seasoning

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/20/15 11:53 PM

So when the cowboys said, "How would you like to taste some lead," that was a good thing?
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/21/15 12:29 AM

Very common for all rodents to chew on lead. I see grays actually gain entry on the older Victorian homes by chewing all the way through the lead roof boots. Here's some pics from a squirrel job last year at a nursing home. Water stains on ceiling tiles tipped off the maintenance guys... and I removed over 20 squirrels from the rooftop in 4 days.

Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/22/15 04:16 AM

What Ron said. Earlier this year I saw the same damage, chewed all the way down to the shingles!
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/23/15 12:45 AM

Rat in the Arz.....
Posted By: shoshone4819

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/26/15 02:48 PM

I work cleaning up unexploded ordnance on former military firing ranges and it surprised me to see that squirrels would chew and possibly consume aluminum flares! I have seen this in different states so it is something that squirrels do, I have no idea why.

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/26/15 04:01 PM

They all want to be flying squirrels.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/26/15 09:33 PM

Chewing to keep teeth short?
Posted By: burke243

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/26/15 11:15 PM

If you see RCBS wrappers lying around------BE CAREFUL----they may have declared war!!!
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Flyers chewing lead flashing - 11/29/15 10:47 AM

Chewing on the lead will give them dain bramage!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums