Home

Snake ID?

Posted By: G Hanold

Snake ID? - 10/08/15 06:38 PM

This is a picture I was sent of the snakes a customer is finding. Head looks like a viper, but most moccasins/cottonmouths I've seen have spots in the darker bands. Any ideas?

Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Snake ID? - 10/08/15 06:43 PM

Mississauga rattle snake. Maybe. Google that and compare
Posted By: warrior

Re: Snake ID? - 10/08/15 06:47 PM

Nerodia sipedon

Northern Water Snake

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nersip.htm

Re: Snake ID? - 10/08/15 06:47 PM

Massasauga has blocks on the back similar to a rat or corn snake.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Snake ID? - 10/08/15 08:10 PM

Now ya know
Posted By: warrior

Re: Snake ID? - 10/08/15 09:06 PM

Those water snakes are a handful and a half to get in hand. They will run for water and are quick about it but if high and dry or cornered they will fight for all they're worth. And by fight I mean BITE.
Forget the tongs on these they won't stay still long enough. You need the lightest fastest hook you got, quick reflexes and a little bit of luck. Funny thing though is once in hand they go limp on you.

While I kind of like sparring with them all in all give me ten moccasins for every one water snake.
Mocassins hold their ground and hook rather well without putting up to much fuss.

Re: Snake ID? - 10/09/15 01:09 PM

Thanks. Mainly the water snake we see around here is the diamond back water snake, so I'm not familiar with this one.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Snake ID? - 10/09/15 02:57 PM

They are biters for sure, fast and nasty. Don't mind the bite as much as the crap they excrete as they wrap around your arm like a garter snake. Disgusting mess and stinks, hard to get off. Find it best just to grab them by hand for control, by the neck when possible. Sometimes you just have to grab what you can and hold it. I used to put some in the garden just to see how loud Judy could scream, 5 foot plus. She can scream pretty loud, same with mice. I have asked her to calibrate the screams so that I would be able to differentiate between mice or a mountain lion by the volume, but no luck so far, all about the same.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Snake ID? - 10/10/15 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Nerodia sipedon

Northern Water Snake

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nersip.htm

x2, see them often here.
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Snake ID? - 10/10/15 02:16 AM

Caught one in a cast net while fishing last week. Last thing I wanted to see when I pulled up my net!
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Snake ID? - 10/11/15 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock
They are biters for sure, fast and nasty. Don't mind the bite as much as the crap they excrete as they wrap around your arm like a garter snake. Disgusting mess and stinks, hard to get off. Find it best just to grab them by hand for control, by the neck when possible. Sometimes you just have to grab what you can and hold it. I used to put some in the garden just to see how loud Judy could scream, 5 foot plus. She can scream pretty loud, same with mice. I have asked her to calibrate the screams so that I would be able to differentiate between mice or a mountain lion by the volume, but no luck so far, all about the same.

So do you like sleeping in the doghouse, Jim?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums