Home

Domestic cats

Posted By: Pa. shooter

Domestic cats - 10/08/15 12:34 PM

I am working with a Borough to resolve an out of hand cat issue. 20 plus cats being fed and causing the usual problems in a residential area. So far i have caged 7 Police are on board and I have permission from a bunch of residents. Animals are turned over to the local Humane Society. I am looking for any tips advice etc. Multiple sets all cages covered anything else you can think of. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Domestic cats - 10/08/15 01:24 PM

Lock them to something immovable.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Domestic cats - 10/08/15 02:38 PM

Food, food, food. Even if someone lets one out of the cage, you can recapture with a good amount of food. Cats are regulated by their stomach.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Domestic cats - 10/08/15 03:55 PM

PA shooter
Are your trap being removed by someone?
Posted By: sgs

Re: Domestic cats - 10/08/15 06:27 PM

Don't drag this out. Cats learn about cages very quickly. For twenty cats I'd really like twenty cages. If they are being fed, the job will be more difficult.

The top two breeding females will probably be the hardest to catch. If you can find a young litter and grab a few your job will go easier.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Domestic cats - 10/09/15 04:00 PM

Quote:
For twenty cats I'd really like twenty cages.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Domestic cats - 10/09/15 06:38 PM

We wont touch feral cat work for the reasons that will be learned along the way and some already mentioned. Hopefully the press wont get involved and a disgruntled pet lover goes to the media and blows the whistle. Then the threat of you,your home and family may be at risk of reprisals once it becomes public.

Have had that happen twice in my area. Vehicles were vandalized, traps stolen, animals released, notes left, house was stoned and spray painted and verbal threats were made directly in person, via the phone and answering service.

Just some words of caution that come with this type of work.

Re: Domestic cats - 10/09/15 08:18 PM

I have heard similar problems with cat work from other people in our business. I guess that's why I'm so proud of our humane society.

( And believe me, I never thought I would say those words either ) Everyone knows that we will take all cats to the humane society;

all you have to do is ask. Then it is up to the humane society to decide if the cat is adoptable or not. We have not received so much

as a bad word from our feral cat trapping. ( Although I will admit that with all the coyotes running around, feral cats may soon be

on the endangered list. Oh darn! )
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Domestic cats - 10/09/15 09:03 PM

I have learned that here in Oregon you don't mention anything about trapping to anyone belonging to the humane society...almost all of them are anti..
My wife has done some research on them and revealed that most of the anti organizations are linked to humane society. Surprised that never occurred to me:/
They may be different in your state? But as far as Oregon, I'm just sayin...

Re: Domestic cats - 10/09/15 09:49 PM

Wylee, your wife is right and that's why our humane society used their head for once and divided their way of doing things. All the

snooty antis are at the main office. That is the place that you do all the adopting. The people who do all the work are located in a

different part of town and are called the Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission. They are the dog catchers and also have

a huge crematorium. A lot of the employees are young kids and are a lot of fun to talk to. Although they are one organization, those

two places are as different as night and day.

Re: Domestic cats - 10/09/15 10:01 PM

That's where the opportunity for education by "us" to these youngsters is soo important! Nobody can show them what really happens but us and them having the ability to think for themselves.
My wife is ranting about this now..she's already on the seal huggers and started with break your heart tv commercials.. Lol I love her so much.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Domestic cats - 10/10/15 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Wylee
I have learned that here in Oregon you don't mention anything about trapping to anyone belonging to the humane society...almost all of them are anti..
My wife has done some research on them and revealed that most of the anti organizations are linked to humane society. Surprised that never occurred to me:/
They may be different in your state? But as far as Oregon, I'm just sayin...

That may change with the sale of 11 million dollars worth of pot in the first 5 day of being sold.

Re: Domestic cats - 10/10/15 01:29 AM

Ya nobody will remember a $&!? thing anyway lol! I'm not sure you meant that to be funny but that's how I took it!
Posted By: 2ndjoborfun

Re: Domestic cats - 10/10/15 04:03 PM

Cat (FERRAL) people are a different breed! In their opinion, cats rule nightime & day. You/we have to deal with it.
2nd
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Domestic cats - 10/10/15 05:33 PM

Don't forget that most LOCAL Humane Society's are NOT allied with HSUS, they still have a load of anti's working there. One such place here, won't let you adopt hunting dogs if you hunt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums