Home

Quit Laughing, This Is Serious

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 07:41 PM

My buddy Al Krier called me to help him out with a turkey vulture problem and I've never had a vulture call so I am asking you guys

for help. Al has at a three story, flat roofed building, that is the tallest in this residential neighborhood. There are 2

inch stones covering the flat roof and it is being used by a number of turkey vultures as a lookout point. What would be the best

method for Al to use to get rid of these birds? I'm sure the fact that this building is a retirement home for the elderly has

nothing to do with it. But I'm guessing that looking up and seeing all those vultures waiting for you to keel over, is not great

for business.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 08:20 PM

Coyote decoy or snake springs to mind first as it's probably pretty close quarters up there, it's quick and it's cheap.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 08:23 PM

LOL,,,, life does not get better then that!

Harassment,,,,,but they too shall pass.........
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 08:43 PM

If on the ledge only shock track, not that they'll likely pay for that option, but if only on ledges and willingness to pay, that's my avenue....

Other than the dead vulture effigy what else works as harassment people have seen work on their own projects?

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 09:13 PM

These birds are only around for one reason, food

It must be close to a freeway with many wildlife kill or a rail line that hauls grain?

Justin anything till next year..(in wa anyway).....?
Posted By: warrior

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 09:48 PM

Let me guess this is occurring in the mornings mostly and to a lesser extent in the evenings? Also this structure is the tallest structure and or land feature in the immediate area? I bet there is also a large body of water and/or land features that promote warming updrafts as the sun heats the day.

If so you have a morning loafing area. Somewhere nearby, usually in a sheltered lower elevation, you will find a night roost if you look. You will need to find this for a complete removal. You can always do hazing harassment (screamers, bangers, lasers) morning and evening at the structure but ultimately hazing at the night roost right at dark will move them along more permanently.

They use these morning loafing sites as a hangout while they wait for uprising thermals to develop. Buzzards are soaring/gliding birds and they don't like wasting energy by having to power their flight so it's all about efficiency of using the thermals.

In the interest of long term control you can use netting, spikes, wire, shock track and effigies. Flat roofs are tough I'd look towards effigies or some sort of motion activated deterrant.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 09:49 PM

Vinke, that has not been my experience.
Posted By: GomerPyle746

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 09:50 PM

Reminds me of the old Looney Toons with the buzzard and the lion.

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 10:03 PM

Quote:
warrior Online content
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Vinke, that has not been my experience.

They left with most of the bats in WA?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 09/30/15 10:26 PM

Laser harassment.

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/01/15 02:15 AM

sooooooooooooo I am curious>>>>> How long does this bird remain in your area?
Posted By: packbasket MD

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/01/15 02:30 AM

Here in Ohio ours are really flocking up now to migrate. We had about a dozen that spent the summer here at work and now we have I'd guess close to 100. I'd guess a couple more weeks and they'll be headed to Florida. (A tracking study here showed some of ours from here spend the winter on the city building in Ft.Lauderdale) maybe i'll try for that exclusion job this winter!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/02/15 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: BigBob
Laser harassment.

x2 or pressure washer
Posted By: JMF

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/02/15 02:03 AM

A WS trapper told me they use dead vulture decoys, he said the vultures don't like the sight of dead vultures.
Posted By: waterwells

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/02/15 07:16 PM

Wish I could draw .that would make a good cartoon drawing .
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/02/15 08:42 PM

It is my understanding that the most effective means of both Turkey Vulture and Black Buzzard dispersal is to hang carcasses or effigies of either bird. To possess actual carcasses will probably require federal and state permits. Check with your state or county Extension Services office (county agent). Artificial effigies (homemade) may not require permits; check with your game warden or county agent.

A “GOOGLE SEARCH” for buzzard effigy will bring up many sources of information and pictures of effigies. .

This subject has been discussed numerous times on the ADC Forum. One of the better threads is at http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3250055/Vultures_on_Roof

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/02/15 09:27 PM

sooooooooooooooo are you guys seeing them all year long?

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/02/15 11:34 PM

I can't remember if they're here during the winter or not but I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/03/15 01:50 AM

Vulture dispersal without any lethal reinforcement is time consuming and, at times, discouraging for you and the customer.
You will likely not get rich specializing in this endeavor.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/03/15 02:15 AM

If trapping a dead pile, and a vulture happens to die near it, the rest leave it alone.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/03/15 02:28 AM

Choked on a bone? smile
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/03/15 02:51 AM

Looked like he had lead poisoning. Lol.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/03/15 10:37 AM

When the thread starts out, "quit laughing," how did we all know it was Paul?

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/03/15 01:48 PM

Probably because Paul is one of the few guys on here that can correctly spell both quit and laughing?
Posted By: packbasket MD

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/05/15 03:15 AM

I know both the black & turkey vultures here in Ohio migrate south. I would think it a safe assumption that anywhere north of here the also migrate south. There is a famous buzzard day here in Hinckley Ohio on March 15 celebrating their return each spring. (Yeah I know that fits right in with the title)
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/06/15 01:39 AM

Fence in the roof and put a half dozen bobcats in it. Vulture problem gone. crazy
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/06/15 02:37 AM

If the vultures migrate to Florida during the winter does that really make them "snow birds"?
Posted By: On a Call

Re: Quit Laughing, This Is Serious - 10/25/15 05:46 AM

Thanksgiving is coming soon.

Put up a sign free turkey
© 2024 Trapperman Forums