Home

Moles starting to move....

Posted By: roe

Moles starting to move.... - 09/23/15 05:49 PM

I'm starting to get lots of calls again. Always had stuff to do over the summer with contracts and a couple of calls a week, but now they've gone mad. I'm going to post a few pics of where I trap and what I trap. Happy trapping guys 'n gals.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/23/15 07:16 PM

Nice Starting to surface again here too
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/23/15 09:47 PM

Still too dry here. Doing some work but not much.
Posted By: Jeff

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/23/15 10:36 PM

Real dry here also.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/23/15 11:41 PM

Real slow on them here. Some warranty work with moles/voles but I'm getting some large animal trapping in. That reminds me I need to set a baby skunk loose.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/24/15 10:27 AM

Couple this morning.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/25/15 12:39 AM

Roe:
Just can't get those duffus trap to work for me. I maybe getting to much back fill of sand when I cover the traps. Just need to work with them more. I tuned them be for using them. Just a different learning curve.
Posted By: InTheDitch

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/25/15 01:01 AM

How do you trap shrews? We have tunnels all throughout our yard but shrews are so small I don't know if a mole trap will work on them
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/25/15 03:59 AM

Every mole trap i own is set right now....got more on the way...ordered online from fleet farm...$7.99 each
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 09/25/15 02:48 PM

Yep, our Fleet & Farm carries them at the same price. Since they're pretty species specific and we have no moles at all, I just can't

help but wonder what heck they would be used for.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/01/15 08:24 AM

This is a bit of an unusual trap we have here inthe UK. I have a feeling that it catches more gardeners than moles!
Not very well made and not really humane either. And the price is not far off $20, so you woudln't want to lose them!

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/23/15 03:07 PM

Done six jobs today. The last one on some

arable farmland. This soft earth can be a real nightmare to trap. However, This is the stuff I learnt on and so i managed to catch a few. One mole sure makes a lot of mess on the arables.

I put an X where i caught the mole. This trap was set at a pinchpoint. The mole aint living in the field, he's living in the solid ground under the fenceline.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/23/15 03:10 PM

This is a set of hills that stretch a looooooong way. Two traps were set here, both on places where the mole will travel frequently. The hills carry on further to ther RHS of the photo, but i din't have space to get it all in...
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/23/15 10:37 PM

Your moles snouts are sure odd shaped compared to our Eastern moles nose. Looks like a pug dogs nose.

Kind of like they were crawling real fast on a straight line tunnel and hit into the side of a rock going top mole speed.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/23/15 11:22 PM

I suppose the star nose would look really weird then. I see them in wet areas. Mostly eastern here though.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/24/15 01:28 AM

got a couple today, gophers too

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/24/15 08:08 PM

Seeing more mole damage than in late spring.
Ev.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/24/15 11:16 PM

I've a place to trap this week where i generally catch a white mole every year. Thats a nice surprise!

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/28/15 03:17 PM

Had another dozen or so today.had a difficult mole in a gharden , I was having my doubts as it wasn't making 'true' mounds, it was just burrowing. Anyway,a Trapline trap set on a three way junction sorted it out.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 01:58 AM

Set up a 167 acre horse ranch today for moles

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 03:57 AM

Joshua, I know woodchucks can cause leg injuries to horses; what about moles?

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 03:50 PM

Set here today. This mole's being a nuisance, he beat me last week so I'm having to make a special jo
urney to bring him to task!

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 08:34 PM

Moles can by excessive tunneling...especially when wet

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 09:15 PM

I am seeing lots of tunneling but finding them harder to catch this time of year.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 09:40 PM

Bobbed another little trap down and caught a weasel while i was moling. I know it's smaller than your weasel, as we call your weasel a stoat over here. Our stoats rarely turn white, in my life i've only see one single white stoat.
The trap, if anyones interested, is whats called a Mk 4...
Posted By: coney catcher

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 10:24 PM

Roe, they are talking about banning the MK4 for stoats, which i think is a bit stupid.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/29/15 11:28 PM

Got a nice starnose today. I don't think I had any others this year. I find them more wary than easterns.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/30/15 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: coney catcher
Roe, they are talking about banning the MK4 for stoats, which i think is a bit stupid.

Yes, and the MK6 too.
Posted By: mawdy man

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/30/15 09:29 AM

do you trap moles for a living? ime a full time mole man in cumbria. i hope this wet warm winter is going to be as good as the last for moles! ime catching more and more every year smile

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/30/15 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: mawdy man
do you trap moles for a living? ime a full time mole man in cumbria. i hope this wet warm winter is going to be as good as the last for moles! ime catching more and more every year smile

Yes. I'm a full time trapper. I'm enjoying myself right now, but it's only the calm before the storm. This time of year I'm just doing 2 or 3 garden jobs and a couple of farms a week. Another month and the phone will go crazy and I won't be able to cope . Going to take on an apprentice this year, if I can find one with the right work ethic.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/30/15 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: roe

Yes. I'm a full time trapper. I'm enjoying myself right now, but it's only the calm before the storm. This time of year I'm just doing 2 or 3 garden jobs and a couple of farms a week. Another month and the phone will go crazy and I won't be able to cope . Going to take on an apprentice this year, if I can find one with the right work ethic.

good stuff..ive just started to get busy now. been a long summer! come christmas and ile be going like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). you must be down south eh?

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 10/30/15 01:20 PM

good stuff..ive just started to get busy now. been a long summer! come christmas and ile be going like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). you must be down south eh?

I've not stopped all summer. I have a very good round that includes three golf courses, some caravan parks, four schools,couple of sports pitches, many dozens of regular garden work and about 15 farms. Got a meeting at a new school on Tuesday, they want me to do a 12 month maintenance contract. I don't even advertise, it just keeps on coming in. I know I'm lucky.

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 11/12/15 03:50 PM

Busy , busy now!

ust taken on a big contract for a school sports pitch. Problem being that it's walked by hundreds of dog walkers every day. So a nigthmare to trap if you don't want your traps getting pinched. I dare not use any markers at all. Got a good few from the first check today. Here's a couple of piccys of what I'm dealing with...

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 11/13/15 04:31 AM

Still gettin mole calls here...i will still catch moles when ground freezes on top...i just use salt like i do when trappin coyotes...trap goes off
Posted By: run

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 12/06/15 10:07 PM

Is the salt for bait?

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 12/06/15 10:21 PM

I'm going to take a guess on this one, since I've never used salt. Is it to keep the ground from freezing so the trap goes off?

Re: Moles starting to move.... - 12/10/15 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: TRapper
Still gettin mole calls here...i will still catch moles when ground freezes on top...i just use salt like i do when trappin coyotes...trap goes off

see i think this is where americans are wayyyy ahead with trapping! could you elaborate more how the salt is used? is it simply sprinkled on the soil? or mixed in with it?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums