Home

Can't even catch a bunny

Posted By: liftedtrapper

Can't even catch a bunny - 08/17/15 08:37 PM

Man this past 3 weeks has me feeling like I don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground. I have live cages and am trying to catch some rabbits for bait and the neighbors want them gone. Well I can't get them I see then hopping all over but just not in the cage. I put woodchips on the wire bottom so they won't feel the metal and put it by the tall weeds with a carrot in the back but nothing. What you guys use for bait any and all help appreciated. I'm starting to lose my MOJO before the season even comes.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/17/15 09:03 PM

Wire cages? Might try covering them with burlap or something to look more like a hollow log.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/17/15 09:22 PM

Don't feel bad. I'm to scared to take on a bunny job in the summer.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/17/15 09:53 PM

When I saw where you were from I had to laugh. Catching those wascally wabbits in the summer is a job for Elmer Fudd and his shotgun.

Unless you can fence off the entire yard like TRapper does, it's kind of futile. We have caught a few rabbits but so few that my son

told the secretaries to E-mail all of our rabbit jobs back after the snow flies and tell them we will set up our cages free of charge

in winter. We will of course charge for every rabbit and we can really nail them when there's snow on the ground. An air rifle out of

the window works pretty good right now.

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/17/15 11:59 PM

I bet PJ will send email tomorrow and instruct staff to forward rabbit call to liftedtrapper...
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 03:15 AM

Fence em...set more today
Posted By: liftedtrapper

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 01:38 PM

Oh man I hope I don't get emails about those little guys. I think i might be done with them for now and just see if I can use the air gun and the dog. So far the dog has done better then me. She has 4 on the year and me none lol. But it is nice to hear it isn't just me.

Are they easier in the fal?

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 01:52 PM

In a deep January snow.....
Posted By: roe

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 01:58 PM

I make a three sides 'walk through' box. About 18" -24" long. Set a fenn type
trap in it bedded in. A couple of leaves over the top and Bob's yer Uncle. Just like cats, rabbits cannot resist a box, especially when it is sited against a perimeter fenceline.

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 07:50 PM

Roe, so if I made a plywood cover and floor for my two door cages, would that work?
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 10:27 PM

Caught my 7th today using fencing....just like catchin dillos down south

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 10:32 PM

It might buddy. If I'm going to bait them I only use carrot. Even when the summer foliage is real high and theres lots of feed about you can still lure them in with carrot.
I prefer to use a kill trap, but when I have used live catches, I like to site them against fences, and bait up. The floor is best if its earth IMO.

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/18/15 11:40 PM

I find it interesting that you seem to be able to use more fatal methods than I can. It's not that our customers are so protective of

animals; it's more along the lines of "What Will The Neighbors Say!" I don't mind it as much as I used to. Catching most of these

critters alive is sort of interesting. It is funny where people draw the line though. We practically always catch muskrats in kill

traps and I've never had anyone turns us down because of it.

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/19/15 07:56 AM

There is another method...it's a family secret but I'll let you guys in on it. As long as you promise not to tell anyone.....

First you take a good sized housebrick, then you sprinkle a heap of pepper on it. Mr Bunny comes a-hopping along, takes a deep smell of the pepper, sneezes and knocks himself out against the brick. laugh

It's as easy as shelling peas....but, sshhhh, Keep that deadly method to yourself... grin

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/19/15 03:18 PM

I'll try it. Ah-choo. Man, those bricks hurt!
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/19/15 06:15 PM

I caught these using a couple lures from WCS

... Apply lure as directed and wait and wait..You need patience and Trap location has to be correct ! The 2 lures I used were called ...Hare today...Gone Tomorrow..AND.. Cottontail Cager

Re: Can't even catch a bunny - 08/19/15 08:55 PM

One of the best rabbit traps is no longer made. ( And most people don't miss it ) The big, heavy, metal, two door Havahart with the

tray the sat level in the middle is really good for rabbits. ( And everything else that comes along )
© 2024 Trapperman Forums