Home

Organic pest control

Posted By: Throw Back

Organic pest control - 07/15/15 02:20 AM

Any green, organic, eco friendly, effective bug control on the market. I think it's a niche worth feeling around here
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Organic pest control - 07/15/15 10:15 AM

What do you mean by effective? All organic treatments that I know of are oils off of plants and trees. If they hit the exoskeleton on application they will dissolve it, but if they don't hit it will/may only deter them.

Take marginal effectiveness and the neurotic nature of those who want organic pest control and expect retreats as they don't want to see any insects. Charge accordingly for retreats.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Organic pest control - 07/15/15 03:30 PM

Limestone, I don't think anyone could have said that any better than what you did.
Posted By: bic

Re: Organic pest control - 07/16/15 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: run
Anybody have an opinion on organic rat control?

a 5 or 6 foot black snake works pretty good. We have a couple in the around the barn and seldom ever see signs of a mouse or rat or even a chipmunk. I imagine your customers wouldn't be real please with you dropping off snakes to control their rodent problems though! smile
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Organic pest control - 07/16/15 06:15 PM

Hardware cloth would be organic. I've read rat teeth are harder than steel, but they don't seem to want to wear them down chewing wire.
Posted By: run

Re: Organic pest control - 07/17/15 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: EatenByLimestone
Hardware cloth would be organic. I've read rat teeth are harder than steel, but they don't seem to want to wear them down chewing wire.
That's good answer- I'm thinking about raising certified organic chickens and just trying to brainstorm some ideas. I help raise conventional turkeys at this point using toxic rat bait for rodent control.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Organic pest control - 07/18/15 04:31 PM

Well I sent out to get info from a small chain. I will post what they have to say.
Posted By: Dirk Shearer

Re: Organic pest control - 07/23/15 10:12 PM

Run,

If memory serves me, there is a rodenticide (Cholecalcifera) based on overdosing rodents with Vitamin D. It is approved for use on organic farms.
Posted By: run

Re: Organic pest control - 07/24/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Dirk Shearer
Run,

If memory serves me, there is a rodenticide (Cholecalcifera) based on overdosing rodents with Vitamin D. It is approved for use on organic farms.
I got some of that stuff, thanks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums