Home

Glue boards

Posted By: huntinjunkie

Glue boards - 06/30/15 06:25 PM

Can someone recommend a brand of glue board for rat/squirrel that will perform (acceptably) in cold weather too? I'm not familiar with "Catchmaster" that WCS is selling. Been making due with off brand stuff and like that it's in a tray but getting too expensive as business picks up.

Thanks!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Glue boards - 06/30/15 06:54 PM

The only thing I ever catch with glue boards is me, so the next time I have one sticking to my butt in January, I will check the

brand and let you know.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: Glue boards - 06/30/15 06:57 PM

Glue, what?
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Glue boards - 06/30/15 07:54 PM

When the mice make a nest out of the cardboard of a tented glue trap, it is time to get a new brand
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Glue boards - 06/30/15 11:04 PM

I wouldn't recommend using glue boards for either specie personally. They have their place but trapping is the better way to go.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Glue boards - 07/01/15 12:41 AM

Agree with Bob 100%. I use Catchmaster, but not for rats or squirrels.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Glue boards - 07/01/15 12:49 AM

I'd recommend snap traps or cages.

Re: Glue boards - 07/08/15 04:04 PM

I use them with great success getting young squirrels out of camp walls without having to tear into them em. There is usually exposed beams or the top of the wall joists are exposed. Got frustrated with young not being able to get through the door of a positive set, dancing around a rat trap or only being able to make one catch in a small trapdoor. Guess I'm the only one?
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Glue boards - 07/10/15 12:18 AM

Rodents don't dance around my rat traps, you must be using a pretty good repellent. If you can't get them to feed off the trap you should be able to hit them in a run or funnel them.

Re: Glue boards - 07/10/15 05:07 PM

I was referring to baby squirrels in walls. Nice pic though.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Glue boards - 07/10/15 10:45 PM

huntinjunkie - Which genus of squirrel are you trying to exclude?
Flying Squirrel- Glaucomys?
Pine squirrel- Tamiasciurus?
Eastern Gray Squirrel- Sciurus?
Or other?
Different techniques may be required for various species. From your location I suspect it is either Glaucomys or Tamiasciurus. We don't have Pine Squirrels around here; I understand that they are about the same size as Flying Squirrels. Positive set Multi-catch cage traps work well for flying squirrels around here; even young ones. In an attic; large, baited rat traps set near the flying squirrel entrance work good. Feel free to PM me for pictures.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Glue boards - 07/11/15 02:47 AM

Here you go Ron. Not what huntinjunkie asked for, but for size comparison.

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Glue boards - 07/11/15 02:55 AM

Great picture Brian! That one should be saved and redisplayed about every 6 months or so.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Glue boards - 07/11/15 03:45 PM

Good picture Brian. Do I have this correct?

It looks like the Pine Squirrel is larger than the Flying Squirrel. I have had no problem getting small Flying Squirrels to enter into my mult-catch cage traps.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Glue boards - 07/11/15 07:53 PM

That's correct Ron, and all of them will go into a colony trap. I've caught a gray and 6 flyers in same trap at same time. Also caught a red and 4 flyers together.
I use colonies 100% for the flyers. For grays only for juvies, and most of the time for reds (pine) along with every other trap that will catch a red.
I've caught 22 flyers, 3 adult grays (six juvie grays), 5 reds, at one time respectively, in colonies. As many as six skunks in a larger colony. Colony traps aren't just for muskrats. Anywhere that you can positive set, a colony will work. I haven't figured out a colony for coons yet.
And to huntinjunkie, get rid of the glue boards and get real traps. Glue boards have their place, but not often.

Re: Glue boards - 07/12/15 01:29 AM

Yes I was referring to Reds or what you call "Pine" squirrels.
Don't get me wrong...As I outlined in my post I use glue boards for removing juveniles inside walls so don't think I'm using them for anything else. I've used the boards recently after I watched 4 juveniles (about 1/2 grown) bump up against the positive set trap door squirrel cage (tomohawks)and turn around 5+ times so I replaced with a non assisted spring door...same thing....I pulled it and replaced with baited boards and had it wrapped up in 2 hours.
Like you said Brian, they have their place....Not often.

So I'm guessing no one has a recommendation for boards that remain effective in cooler temps?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums