Posted By: Throw Back

one way door for skunks. - 06/22/15 03:32 PM

Is a 5 inch door big enough?
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 01:16 AM

How big is the skunk?
Posted By: TRapper

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 03:00 AM

5" is even big enough for a xxxl coon...
Posted By: 80C

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 04:42 AM

I have used muskrat colony traps many times because it is all I had in the truck. I have caught big skunks!!
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 80C
I have used muskrat colony traps many times because it is all I had in the truck. I have caught big skunks!!

They aren't smart enough to lift the door open?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 02:21 PM

This question reminds me of the time Ron White got arrested for public intoxication. He said, "I had the right to remain silent, but

I didn't have the ability." In a good colony trap, the skunk would probably be standing on the door that it is trying to lift. Colony

traps for skunks can be an excellent tool. I had a customer that lived some distance from the office. I caught his entire family of

skunks in two trips thereby saving the customer some money and still making a nice profit for the company.
Posted By: sgs

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 02:49 PM

Throw Back, in my area a 5" door would handle about half of the skunks. The other half would dig around it. I doubt I have had any refusals because an opening was too big. I tend to give animals as much space as is practical.

As for colony traps, I like them. I have a dozen 7x7x24 that work well for skunks and feral cats.

Best case scenario is to catch the breeding female in a regular cage trap and the young in the colony traps.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 02:59 PM

I bought some controller units from WCS first year in business.

I use them 100% for skunks and while they have more than enough room they do a great job,
the door locks and easy to stake down or secure to your opening.

Combine with a camera and I've had no problems and have seen them return the next night
and look for ways around it but ultimately give up.

(Disclaimer - I do not use them during maternity season. This year I've had more than 15 calls in the last
two weeks where various companies trapped out an adult and the folks found live or dead litters of skunk,
and raccoon.)

(Disclaimer 2 - I have very solid cinder blocks walls where the skunks are using the gates to the yard, easy exclusion
And also solid foundations very seldom wood or rough structures, I know this doesn't work everywhere with every structure.)

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 03:42 PM

Monster Toms I believe had a video of a skunk squeezing out of the bars on a cage trap, with many rodents and weasels if the head fits the body can follow. I'd worry more about it getting out rather then in my skunk is relentless when she wants out of her night box!

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 03:59 PM

Jerry Herbst brings up a good point. Make sure your cage and its wire are suited for the job. I feel a lot more confident using the

1/2 x 1/2 inch cages for smaller target animals. Jerry, are you lucky enough to have a pet skunk?

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/23/15 04:16 PM

Interesting. I honestly never gave colony traps a thought as skunk traps. I may need to try them out at my house. I have some 5,6,7 and 8" colony's
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/25/15 11:36 PM

Starvalley, they work fine. 6 juvies in this one.

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/25/15 11:48 PM

Brian, you guys sure have some very pretty and very white skunks.

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 12:54 AM

Those skunks are awesome. I'm glad you guys mentioned colony's. Now I have a new tool in the arsenal. Thanks
Posted By: California cager

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Brian Mongeau
Starvalley, they work fine. 6 juvies in this one.

Now did any of those thing spray your truck bed

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: California cager

Now did any of those thing spray your truck bed

Nope. And that's not my work truck, I just posed them there for a pic, before putting into the co2 chamber.
That was a positive set BTW. I haven't been able to get it work as a baited trap or alongside another cage for female...yet.

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 03:33 AM

Do you have to put them into a CO2 chamber because you live in Killingly? Do they ever spray in the chamber? Here one for Justin: how

come Brian's skunks are twice as white as ours?
Posted By: 80C

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 04:52 AM

No, I put a camera on it. Skunk spent more time on top of the cage than in.
Posted By: California cager

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 05:02 AM

How do u handle them without them spraying!?
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Here one for Justin: how come Brian's skunks are twice as white as ours?

Paul,

I'll go with simple genetics on this one. Selective factors that result in the traits of in this case a very white
group of striped skunks. Could be a long term anti-predator behavior that resulted in more survival and breeding,
could just be a local or regional thing, have of course seen them nearly all white and nearly all black as I'm sure most
have in a variety of locations around the country.

Pretty skunks!

The interesting thing about the color is you'd think it would be an easier target for great horned owls a primary predator
of striped skunk, however this pressure must be low or absent....

Just spitballing though, no way to know without research.....

smile

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Do you have to put them into a CO2 chamber because you live in Killingly? Do they ever spray in the chamber? Here one for Justin: how

come Brian's skunks are twice as white as ours?

State law here, Paul. All skunks, raccoons and fox removed from site get euthanized.
Sometimes I get litter mates that are almost all black with a white wishbone behind head, but we do have a lot of whiter skunks.

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 02:39 PM

Justin, one of the reasons that great horned are good skunk predators is because they have no sense of smell, right? Brian, I was

just kidding about the Killingly thing, but you've got to admit it is a cool name. I would guess that the next closest town would

probably be Slaughteringly?

Re: one way door for skunks. - 06/26/15 09:02 PM

LOL. Got it this time. Went over my head before. Hate it when a joke has to be explained.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums