Home

Bat Guano for Garden

Posted By: Aaron Curtis

Bat Guano for Garden - 06/21/15 07:08 PM

Just wondering if anyone uses it on their garden? I have been doing a lot of reading and cannot find anything pertaining to guano other than the guano that you can purchase. Since the stuff I have doesn't come with the NPK rating I am not sure how much to use, or if I am better off using it as a top dressing or in a tea form. The one thing I have been reading is too much of it can scorch your plants..........I don't want to scorch my plants. I am guessing the NPK makeup will vary from region to region. I got about 30gallons off a job and its from Big Brown Bats. If anyone has any insight or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Aaron
Posted By: sgs

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/21/15 07:30 PM

Aaron, being a gardener myself, I would say that your best bet is to compost the guano with other things. Garden waste, grass clippings, kitchen waste, etc.

Compost is almost always a better alternative than direct application.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/21/15 08:38 PM

So...your saying you have some big brown turds?
Posted By: run

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/21/15 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: sgs
Aaron, being a gardener myself, I would say that your best bet is to compost the guano with other things. Garden waste, grass clippings, kitchen waste, etc.

Compost is almost always a better alternative than direct application.
x2
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/21/15 11:49 PM

Considering histoplasmosis comes from bat poo, unless it's mixed with something to keep the dust contained, I'd pass.
Posted By: Aaron Curtis

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/22/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: DaveK
So...your saying you have some big brown turds?

Billions........want 1 or 2!
Posted By: Vincenator

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/23/15 01:40 AM

If use without composting it first it is to 'hot',it will burn your plants as it is so high in nitrogen.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/23/15 07:56 PM

I put some in my garden this year. I have no idea how effective it has or hasn't been.
Posted By: Kyt

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/23/15 08:42 PM

Just a guess, but I would think it would be similar to chicken manure nutrient- wise. Have to use that sparingly because of its high N content or it will burn plants.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/23/15 08:58 PM

You've got to figure it's been sitting up in the attic for quite a long time. It's far from fresh.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/24/15 09:03 PM

Compost first, or turn it under in the fall.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Bat Guano for Garden - 06/27/15 10:45 PM

I have a couple of 60 gallon barrels that got wet. I cant use it for anything so if someone wants to come get it, I would be one happy camper! Mix that mud with water and spray plants down with it like tea. Tomato plants love it!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums