Home

Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision

Posted By: GW02

Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 06/16/15 10:54 PM

I've been asked to remove as many rabbits as possible from a subdivision community park area. Lethal methods are not an option so I'm stuck with live trapping.

Anyone have a tried and true method (bait, placement, etc.)? This is the first rabbit job I've been asked to do so don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for any advice.

Kathy
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 06/16/15 11:06 PM

Kathy, you have my profound sympathy. Fencing them into a two-door cage without using any bait at all will still get you every kind

of animal the park holds. Using their favorite bait, which is a combination of corn, hay, and bird seed will just about guarantee you

every squirrel and raccoon. Just make sure you get paid for the non-targets and you may even catch some rabbits. And then tell

whoever is paying for this, that you will be back when there is snow on the ground and clean them out. ( At least that's what I do )

Good Luck!
Posted By: GW02

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 06/16/15 11:38 PM

That's what I was afraid of.

No doubt other animals are digging around in their gardens/plantings so that would probably not be an issue. But if I don't catch rabbits, they won't be happy.

Hard to explain nuisance wildlife behavior to people sometimes, esp. when they're used to getting what they want. :-)
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 06/17/15 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: GW02
Hard to explain nuisance wildlife behavior to people sometimes, esp. when they're used to getting what they want. :-

And NOT used to being corrected when they're wrong!
Posted By: Sweet Pea

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/07/15 01:31 AM

I use a wooden rabbit trap and little trouble catching them if near their travels.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/07/15 02:37 AM

I have a similar sitaution...submitting a bid tomm for a big set up fee and a per trip cost...16 trips a month at $$ per trip plus one time set up fee...set traps on a monday and check every day and set off on Friday.../.this is a big park/garden open to public so gotta build in the hassle of it....will have 10-15 traps set that are dedicated to the job...the per trip will include all animals caught targeted and non targeted

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/07/15 03:29 AM

Sweet Pea, are you saying that you can still easily catch rabbits this time of year? If all it takes is a wooden trap, my table saw

is going to be awful busy. I have found rabbits to be the hardest thing to catch this time of the year. They have all they want to

eat everywhere!
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/07/15 11:39 AM

LOL Paul I was just thinking man I must really suck at rabbits LOL I have a hit and miss this time of year my self. I now know that there are 2 of us LOL I am feeling better now.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/07/15 05:42 PM

Jonesie:
Make that 3 that are feeling better!
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/07/15 07:17 PM

4:)
Posted By: DaveK

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/07/15 09:58 PM

There was a reason this was a funny cartoon. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/08/15 02:41 AM

Job i will be doing...sold it today...be putting up wire fencing and forcing them into it....used to catch rabbits when doing same thing for armadillos

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/08/15 04:24 AM

Joshua, if this goes well, pictures would be appreciated.

Re: Live-trapping rabbits in a subdivision - 07/10/15 03:02 PM

Goin to try....places i am putting fence up is mosquito infested...prob wear a rain coat and turkey mask to keep skeeters out so may not have patience to snap a shot lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums